How Does the Ehrenfest Wind-Tree Model Describe Particle Dynamics?

• Thread starter GalileoGalilei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, The problem involves a collection of randomly placed fixed scatterers (trees) on a plane and moving particles (wind) that collide with the trees. The wind particles can move in four directions and an equation for the number of particles in each direction at a given time is derived. The system is spatially homogeneous and a solution is found in terms of the initial number of particles in each direction. This solution involves diagonalizing a 4x4 matrix and the behavior of the system at infinite time is discussed. The Boltzmann equation for dilute gas may be needed to solve the problem.
GalileoGalilei

Homework Statement

A collection of fixed scatterers ('trees') are placed on a plane at random. The trees are oriented squares with diagonals along the x- and y-directions (cf attached picture). The number of trees per unit volume is [itex]n[/itex], each side is of length [itex]a[/itex], and [itex]na^2 << 1[/itex]. There are moving particles ('wind') that do not interact with each other, but do collide with the trees. The wind particles can move in four directions, labeled [itex]1,2,3,4[/itex]. Let [itex]F_i(\textbf{r},t) =[/itex] the number of wind particles at [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] moving in direction [itex]i[/itex] at time [itex]t[/itex].

(a) Derive an equation for [itex]F_i(\textbf{r},t)[/itex].
(b) Is there an H-theorem ? (Suppose the system is spatially homogeneous, [itex]F_i(\textbf{r},t)=F_i(t)[/itex], independent of [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex])
(c) Find a solution [itex]\left\{ F_i(t)\right\} [/itex] in terms of [itex]\left\{F_i(0)\right\} [/itex]. What happens if [itex]t \rightarrow \infty[/itex] ? (You will need to diagonalize a [itex]4\times 4 [/itex] matrix)

Homework Equations

I might need Boltzmann equation for dilute gas.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just began reading a book which is Introduction to Chaos in Nonequilibrium Statistical Mechanics. This exercise is at the end of a chapter on Boltzmann Equation and Boltzmann's H-theorem : I have some diffuclties to know how to begin solving it.

I hope here someone can help me, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ehrenfest.png
    ehrenfest.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 571
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello GalileoGalilei - looks like an interesting problem!

To get started, I would try to write down an equation for [itex]\frac{d}{dt}F_1[/itex], the rate of change of the [itex]F_1[/itex] population. As time goes by, the [itex]F_1[/itex] population will be depleted because some of it will be scattered (in equal measure) into the 2 and 4 directions. Meanwhile the [itex]F_1[/itex] population will also be augmented by incoming scattering from the [itex]F_2[/itex] and [itex]F_4[/itex] populations.

Related to How Does the Ehrenfest Wind-Tree Model Describe Particle Dynamics?

1. What is the Ehrenfest wind-tree model?

The Ehrenfest wind-tree model, also known as the Ehrenfest urn model, is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of particles in a closed system. It is used to study the concept of equilibrium and the behavior of macroscopic systems.

2. Who developed the Ehrenfest wind-tree model?

The model was developed by Dutch physicists Paul and Tatiana Ehrenfest in 1912. They used the model to explain the concept of thermal equilibrium and the second law of thermodynamics.

3. How does the Ehrenfest wind-tree model work?

The model consists of an imaginary urn that contains black and white balls. The balls represent the particles in a closed system. At each step, a ball is randomly chosen and its color is observed. The chosen ball is then returned to the urn along with a new ball of the same color. This process is repeated multiple times to simulate the behavior of particles in a closed system.

4. What are the key assumptions of the Ehrenfest wind-tree model?

The model assumes that the particles in the system are indistinguishable, and that the system is in a state of thermal equilibrium. It also assumes that the particles have equal probabilities of being chosen and that the number of particles is large enough to be considered a continuous system.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Ehrenfest wind-tree model?

The model has been used to study various physical and biological phenomena, such as the behavior of gases, population genetics, and the spread of diseases. It has also been used to analyze the behavior of financial markets and the distribution of wealth in societies.