How Does the Finite Size of the Nucleus Affect Hydrogen's Ground State Energy?

• Thread starter andyfreesty1e
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
STRACT: In summary, the conversation is about calculating the correction to the energy of the ground state of the hydrogen atom, taking into account the finite size of the nucleus and treating the nuclear charge as a thin shell of radius r0. The person posting is struggling with finding the perturbation and is seeking help. They are recommended to read a resource on the topic to gain a better understanding.
andyfreesty1e

Homework Statement

calculate the correction to the energy of the ground state of the hydrogen atom due to the finite size of the nucleus treating the nuclear charge as a thin shell of radius r0.

I posted this not that long ago, i know what to do but i just can't figure out what the perturbation is, so any help in finding what the perturbation is will be very very helpful

thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
andyfreesty1e said:

Homework Statement

calculate the correction to the energy of the ground state of the hydrogen atom due to the finite size of the nucleus treating the nuclear charge as a thin shell of radius r0.

I posted this not that long ago, i know what to do but i just can't figure out what the perturbation is, so any help in finding what the perturbation is will be very very helpful

thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Reading http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/752.mf1i.spring03/Time_Ind_PT.htm" will surely help you!

AB

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Does the Finite Size of the Nucleus Affect Hydrogen's Ground State Energy?

1. What is quantum physics-corrections?

Quantum physics-corrections refer to the modifications or adjustments made to the principles and equations of quantum physics in order to account for discrepancies between theoretical predictions and experimental observations.

2. Why are quantum physics-corrections necessary?

Quantum physics-corrections are necessary because the principles and equations of quantum physics do not always accurately describe the behavior of particles at extremely small scales. These corrections help to refine and improve our understanding of the quantum world.

3. How are quantum physics-corrections calculated?

Quantum physics-corrections are calculated using various mathematical techniques, such as perturbation theory and renormalization, which take into account the effects of other particles and fields on the quantum system being studied.

4. What are some examples of quantum physics-corrections?

Examples of quantum physics-corrections include the Lamb shift, which accounts for the small but measurable difference in energy levels of the hydrogen atom, and the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron, which explains the discrepancy between the predicted and observed behavior of the electron's magnetic moment.

5. How do quantum physics-corrections impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum physics-corrections play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe at the smallest scales. They help to explain the behavior of particles and forces that cannot be fully described by classical physics, and they continue to be a subject of ongoing research and discovery in the field of quantum mechanics.