How does the first-order analysis extend to the (A)dS algebra in supergravity?

• Thread starter haushofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the first-order formalism applied to the Poincare algebra is not applicable to the (A)dS algebra, which is semi-simple. This causes problems because the Vielbein postulate is not valid.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I have a question concerning gravity obtained by gauging symmetry algebras, a method used often in the context of supergravity.

One can gauge the Poincaré algebra with generators {P,M}. P generates translations, M generators Lorentz transformations, schematically given by

[tex]
[P,P]=0, \ \ \ \ [M,P]=P, \ \ \ \ \ [M,M]=M
[/tex]
This gives two gauge fields, one for P and one for M:
[tex]
e_{\mu}{}^a, \ \ \ \omega_{\mu}{}^{ab} \ \ \ (1)
[/tex]
In the first order formalism one then imposes a curvature constraint. The curvature R of translations, R(P), is put to zero: R(P)=0. This amounts to putting the torsion to zero. The effect is that the [itex]\omega_{\mu}{}^{ab}[/itex] can be solved for if one introduces inverse fields [itex]e^{\mu}{}_a[/itex], and the local P-translations on the remaining field [itex]e_{\mu}{}^a[/itex] can be regarded as a combination of a general coordinate transformation and a Lorentz transformation (this is not trivial, but nevertheless true). This makes one to identify [itex]e_{\mu}{}^a[/itex] as vielbein.

One can then impose the Vielbein postulate to express the Levi-Civita connection [itex]\Gamma^{\rho}_{\mu\nu}[/itex] in terms of the gauge fields (1). Then the Riemann tensor can be expressed in terms of the curvature of Lorentz transformations R(M),

[tex]
R^{\mu}{}_{\nu\rho\sigma} = -e^{\mu}{}_a R_{\rho\sigma}{}^{ab}(M) e_{\nu \ b}
[/tex]

In this way one can "obtain general relativity by a gauging procedure on the Poincare algebra".

My question is: how does this first-order analysis extend to the (A)dS algebra? The problem is that the (A)dS algebra is semi-simple (in constrast with the Poincare algebra), so effectively one has 1 generator. Splitting things up becomes messy. If one applies the above analysis naively to the (A)dS algebra written as

[tex]
[P,P]=M, \ \ \ \ [M,P]=P, \ \ \ \ \ [M,M]=M
[/tex]

then one doesn't get the deformation [P,P]=M into the Riemann tensor via the Vielbein postulate; because the curvature R(P) doesn't change, the spin connection doesn't change, and if the Vielbein postulate doesn't change, the Riemann tensor doesn't change, and so effectively one is gauging the Poincaré algebra again.

I looked up some literature about this (Mansouri, Ortin's "gravity and strings", Wilczek) but I would like to understand the precise reason why the 1-order formalism a la Poincaré goes wrong. And how to improve it, of course.

So if anyone has an idea: I would be happy with some comments :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm kicking it in the hope that somebody recognizes the problem. :)

For reference, I will link to: some earlier threads https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2781243" of "gauge" versus "string" approaches to quantum gravity in 3 dimensions.

In the string versus loop debate, I am very busy just trying to understand string. But of course I have seen the numerous debates in which string theorists say that treating gravity as a gauge theory is an inherently doomed approach. I can list some of the assertions - LQG is unpredictive because it has infinitely many coupling constants, it can't recover the classical limit, it only has kinematics but not dynamics, the Hilbert space is too big (continuum-many dimensions) and the method of quantization is http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/string/archives/000299.html" (note the statement: "these are the same methods used in LQG for quantizing the gravitational field in 3+1 dimensions") - but I couldn't reproduce the arguments unaided. That would require a level of sophistication somewhat beyond where I'm at, and I continue to feel that the best way to reach that level is just to study the string until it makes sense, rather than to study the anti-loop arguments until they make sense. I figure that by the time you really understand string theory, you should certainly understand enough about gravity and field theory to form an independent judgment about these matters.

Nonetheless, recently I'm reading papers by http://arxiv.org/abs/1105.5632" state, with the intuition that it's relevant.)

haushofer, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I'm hoping that if anyone decides to answer your question, it might shed some light on the broader context.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How does the first-order analysis extend to the (A)dS algebra in supergravity?

1. What is the (A)dS algebra?

The (A)dS algebra, also known as the anti-de Sitter algebra, is a mathematical structure that describes the symmetry properties of anti-de Sitter spacetime. It is a Lie algebra that consists of generators and commutation relations that preserve the geometry of anti-de Sitter space.

2. How is the (A)dS algebra used in physics?

The (A)dS algebra is used in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of quantum gravity and string theory. It helps to describe the symmetries and dynamics of systems in anti-de Sitter spacetime, which is important for understanding the behavior of particles and fields in this curved spacetime.

3. What is the difference between the (A)dS algebra and the Poincaré algebra?

The (A)dS algebra and the Poincaré algebra are both Lie algebras that describe the symmetries of different types of spacetimes. The (A)dS algebra describes the symmetries of anti-de Sitter spacetime, which has a negative cosmological constant, while the Poincaré algebra describes the symmetries of Minkowski spacetime, which has a zero cosmological constant.

4. How does the (A)dS algebra relate to conformal symmetry?

The (A)dS algebra is a special case of the conformal algebra in 3+1 dimensions. This means that all of the symmetries of anti-de Sitter spacetime can be described in terms of conformal transformations, which are transformations that preserve angles but not distances.

5. Can the (A)dS algebra be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the (A)dS algebra can be generalized to higher dimensions. In 3+1 dimensions, it is described by the SO(2,4) Lie algebra, but in higher dimensions, it is described by the SO(p+1,q+1) Lie algebra, where p+q = D-1, with D being the dimension of spacetime.