How Does the Fourier Transform Handle Non-Deterministic Noise?

In summary, if your signal is not deterministic, then you can indeed calculate the Fourier spectrum, but you will need to be aware of the expectations associated with the Fourier transform.
mnb96
Fourier transform of "noise"

Hello,

when we want to get the magnitude of the Fourier frequency spectrum of a function f we typically calculate [tex]F(\omega)=\int_{\mathbb{R}}f(x)e^{-i\omega x}dx[/tex]
and then consider [itex]|F(\omega)|[/itex].

We can do this as long the signal (=function) is deterministic, that is, only one single known value f(x) is associated to every x.

What happens when f(x) is not deterministic anymore? In other words, we don't know what is the exact value of f(x), but we can say only that f(x) follows a certain probability density function. For example I could say that [tex]f(x) \sim \mathcal{U}(-1 , 1)[/tex] which means that for a given x, f(x) is now a random variable having uniform probability distribution between -1 and 1.
If we plotted such a "function" against x we would see a noisy plot with amplitudes between -1 and 1.

I would like to calculate the magnitude of the Fourier spectrum of such a function, but I don't know from where to start. what can we say about [itex]|F(\omega)|[/itex]? Any hint?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello mnb96.

If your signal is not deterministic, then you are essentially talking about a stochastic process (also called a random process). The Fourier transform / Fourier series of a stochastic process can indeed be defined - the key is how to interpret the integral. Us engineers learn about mean-square calculus, and interpret the integral in the mean square sense. One thing you can immediately do is say things about expectations of the Fourier transform. For example:

[tex]
E\left[ F(\omega) \right] =\int_{\mathbb{R}} E\left[f(x) \right]e^{-i\omega x}dx
[/tex]

The second order moment can be related to the Fourier transform of the autocorrelation function.

I won't attempt to provide a detailed discussion here (I admit I am a bit rusty since I live in the discrete world for the most part ...), but I would look in the online books by Hajek (exploratoin of random processes ...) and Gray (statistical signal processing) as a possible place to start. I learned about this from Papoulis (probability, random variables and stochastic processes) which was the standard electrical engineering book when I was in school. The terms below should get you going on google:

The Fourier xform/series is usually called the "spectral representation" of the random process. A generalization of the Fourier series where you use arbitrary orthogonal functions is called the "Karhunen-Loeve expansion", and is related to principle component analysis.

I hope that helps a little!

Jason

If you are talking about "white noise", the Fourier transform is a constant over a finite range of [itex]\omega[/itex].

Last edited:

Hi jasonRF!

thanks a lot! Your explanation was really helpful! In fact, you put me in the right direction by pointing out that what we can do, is simply to compute the expected value of F(ω) or analogously the variance of F(ω) (which I was able to derive myself, finding the relationship you mentioned with the autocorrelation).

I started to play around with this and unless I did some mistake in my proof, I also noticed that, if f(x) is a random process, then we have an equivalent of Parseval's theorem:

[tex]E \left[ \left\| f \right\|^2 \right] = E \left[ \left\| F \right\|^2 \right][/tex]

where [itex]E \left[ \left\| f \right\|^2 \right] = E \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} |f(x)|^2 dx[/itex], is the expected [itex]\ell_2[/itex]-norm of f. Is this correct?

However, for the above to be valid, I had to assume that the random process f takes place on a finite range of x, otherwise the expected norm goes to infinity.

In this case, we can still use the Fourier transform to analyze the noise, but we need to consider the concept of stochastic processes. A stochastic process is a collection of random variables that depend on some underlying parameter, in this case, the value of x. The Fourier transform of a stochastic process is known as the power spectral density (PSD). The PSD is a measure of the distribution of power among different frequencies in the stochastic process.

To calculate the PSD, we can use the Wiener-Khinchin theorem, which states that the PSD is the Fourier transform of the autocorrelation function of the stochastic process. The autocorrelation function measures the correlation between the signal at different points in time or space. In the case of noise, the autocorrelation function will show a rapid decrease as the time or space difference increases, indicating that the noise is uncorrelated.

In summary, the Fourier transform of noise is not a single value, but rather a distribution of values represented by the PSD. This allows us to analyze the frequency components of the noise and understand its characteristics. I hope this helps in understanding the Fourier transform of noise.

Related to How Does the Fourier Transform Handle Non-Deterministic Noise?

1. What is the Fourier transform of noise?

The Fourier transform of noise is a mathematical technique used to analyze the frequency components of a noisy signal. It converts the signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, allowing for a clearer understanding of the underlying signal.

2. How does the Fourier transform of noise work?

The Fourier transform of noise works by decomposing a signal into its individual frequency components. It uses complex numbers and mathematical operations to represent the amplitude and phase of each frequency component. This allows for a visualization of the noise in terms of its frequency distribution.

3. What are the applications of the Fourier transform of noise?

The Fourier transform of noise has many applications in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It is used to filter out noise from signals, identify patterns and anomalies in data, and compress images and audio files.

4. Can the Fourier transform of noise remove noise completely?

No, the Fourier transform of noise cannot remove noise completely. It can only separate the noise from the underlying signal and provide information about the noise's frequency distribution. Additional techniques, such as filtering or denoising algorithms, may be needed to remove noise completely.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fourier transform of noise?

Yes, there are limitations to the Fourier transform of noise. It assumes that the noise is stationary, meaning that its characteristics do not change over time. Additionally, it may not work well for non-linear or non-stationary noise. In these cases, more advanced techniques may be necessary.