How Does the Kinetic Energy Sum Relate to Total Energy in a System of Particles?

The system can't have more energy than it actually has, and the kinetic energy is only one part of the total energy, so it can't be more than the total energy.
Petar Mali
[tex]\sum^{3N}_{i=1}\frac{p^2_i}{2m}\leq E[/tex]

Why I can write this inequality? Is this [tex]E[/tex] energy of system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Petar Mali said:

Why I can write this inequality? Is this [tex]E[/tex] energy of system?

For system of [tex]N[/tex] identical linear harmonic oscilators of mass [tex]m[/tex], frequency [tex]\omega[/tex] find phase volume, entropy and energy per particle.

[tex]H(p,x)=\sum^{N}_{i=1}\frac{p^2_i}{2m}+\frac{1}{2}\sum^{N}_{i=1}m\omega^2x^2\leq E[/tex]

Why inequality? Can I get some explanation?

Thanks!

The second sum can't be negative.

I don't really know too much but...

Looks like it's saying that the sum of the kinetic energy is less than or equal to the total energy, which makes sense to me.

Related to How Does the Kinetic Energy Sum Relate to Total Energy in a System of Particles?

1. What is a "system of identical particles"?

A system of identical particles refers to a collection of particles that have the same physical properties, such as mass, charge, and spin. These particles can be either atoms, molecules, or subatomic particles, and their behavior is governed by the same laws of physics.

2. What are the characteristics of a system of identical particles?

The main characteristic of a system of identical particles is that each particle in the system has the same properties, and therefore, they are indistinguishable from each other. This means that one cannot track the individual motion of each particle, and the system must be analyzed as a whole.

3. How are systems of identical particles used in scientific research?

Systems of identical particles are used in many areas of scientific research, such as in the study of quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and fluid dynamics. These systems allow scientists to understand the behavior of complex systems and make predictions about their properties and interactions.

4. What is the difference between a system of identical particles and a system of distinguishable particles?

The main difference between these two types of systems is that identical particles have the same physical properties, while distinguishable particles have different properties. This means that identical particles cannot be differentiated from each other, while distinguishable particles can be tracked and studied individually.

5. How do scientists handle the complexity of systems of identical particles?

Scientists use mathematical models and theories, such as the Bose-Einstein statistics or the Fermi-Dirac statistics, to describe and understand the behavior of systems of identical particles. These theories take into account the indistinguishability of the particles and allow for a more accurate analysis of their behavior.