How does the length of a solenoid affect its magnetic field strength?

• Thread starter ft92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, to design a solenoid to control the central locking system in a car, you need to know its magnetic induction, the car battery's current, and the number of turns of wire it will need.
ft92

Homework Statement

Suppose that you want to design a solenoid to control magnetically the central locking system of your car doors. This needs a magnetic induction at the end of the coil of 0.161 T. To be compact enough to fit next to the window winder mechanism, the coil can be only 3.03 cm long and 0.688 cm in diameter. The car battery can supply 8.23 A.

How many turns of wire does the coil need to have if it has air as its core?

Homework Equations

B = μ0I N / L

The Attempt at a Solution

0.161 = 4π x 10 -7 * 8.23 * N / 0.0303

N = 471.69 turns approximately

I don't know how to take into account the information given about the diameter 0.688 cm.
How can I adjust the formula to get a more accurate result?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this an open question where you need to research the properties of the materials involved such as the resistivity of the wire, its current carrying capacity, and so on? For example, the resistance of the coil will depend upon resistivity of the wire material, its cross sectional area and total length. The current drawn depends upon the resistance and supply voltage.

Coils can be multi-layered, too, increasing the effective number of turns per unit length at the expense of making them "fatter". The number of layers you can use will depend upon the wire size and available total diameter of the coil.

You can see that there are many interrelated factors for a practical design.

Thank you for your answer, but actually I'm only asked to find the number of turns without researching the properties of the material.

So it looks like you've found a viable result. Just make sure that answer is given to an appropriate number of significant figures.

TSny said:
Indeed. I hadn't thought about the fact that the fringe effect would significantly affect the field strength at the ends of a finite solenoid. As a good approximation, assume it cuts the calculated field value in half. Or, are you expected to derive an equation for the field strength of a finite solenoid?

Related to How does the length of a solenoid affect its magnetic field strength?

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can be used to move objects or control the flow of electricity.

2. How does a solenoid work?

A solenoid works by using an electric current to create a magnetic field. When the current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that is strongest in the center of the coil. This magnetic field can then interact with other magnetic fields to move objects or control the flow of electricity.

3. What are solenoids used for?

Solenoids have a variety of uses in different industries, including in electromechanical devices such as door locks, valves, and relays. They are also used in medical devices, industrial equipment, and automotive systems.

4. What is the difference between a solenoid and an electromagnet?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet, but the two terms are not interchangeable. A solenoid is a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is a type of magnet that is created by passing an electric current through a wire wrapped around a core.

5. How can I test if a solenoid is working?

To test if a solenoid is working, you can use a multimeter to measure the resistance of the coil. A functioning solenoid will have a low resistance, typically around 10-20 ohms. You can also apply a small amount of voltage to the solenoid and observe if it moves or creates a magnetic field.