How Does the Logarithmic Equation Simplify with Large Frequency Values?

• Thread starter Rectifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithms
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the equation |H(f)|_{dB} = - 10log (1+( \frac{f}{f_B})^2) and how it relates to the equation |H(f)|_{dB} = - 20log ( \frac{f}{f_B}) for large values of f. The expert explains that when f is large, the first equation can be simplified to -10 \log{(\frac{f}{f_B})^2} and then uses the property \log a^n=n\log a to further explain the solution. The person asking the question thanks the expert for their help.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey!
I have a question regarding a statement in my physics book. I don't see how
[tex] |H(f)|_{dB} = - 10log (1+( \frac{f}{f_B})^2) [/tex]

approaches this equation below for big values on f.

[tex] |H(f)|_{dB} = - 20log ( \frac{f}{f_B}) [/tex]

Could you please help me out?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I am sorry if this is posted to a wrong sub-forum.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
When f is large, you can ignore 1 and so there only remains [itex] -10 \log{(\frac{f}{f_B})^2} [/itex]. Now you can use the property [itex] \log a^n=n\log a [/itex] to get what you want.

Likes Rectifier
Shyan said:
When f is large, you can ignore 1 and so there only remains [itex] -10 \log{(\frac{f}{f_B})^2} [/itex]. Now you can use the property [itex] \log a^n=n\log a [/itex] to get what you want.
Oh gosh. Thank you for your help :)

FAQ: How Does the Logarithmic Equation Simplify with Large Frequency Values?

1. What are logarithms and why do we need to solve them?

Logarithms are mathematical functions that are the inverse of exponential functions. They are used to solve exponential equations and to manipulate large numbers. Solving logarithms is useful in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance.

2. How do I know when to use logarithms to solve a problem?

If you encounter an equation in which the variable is in the exponent, then logarithms can be used to solve it. Another clue is when the equation involves repeated multiplication or division.

3. What are the steps to solve a logarithm problem?

The first step is to identify the base of the logarithm. Then, rewrite the equation in exponential form. Next, apply the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation. Finally, solve for the variable by using algebraic techniques.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving logarithm problems?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to apply the properties of logarithms, not simplifying the equation before solving, and incorrectly solving for the variable. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions, as logarithms can sometimes produce them.

5. Are there any tips for mastering logarithm problem solving?

Practice is key to mastering logarithm problem solving. Make sure to fully understand the properties of logarithms and how they can be applied to simplify equations. It is also helpful to work on problems with varying levels of difficulty and to check your answers using a calculator.

Back