How Does the Magnetic Field Behave Along the Z-Axis of a Current Loop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field on the Z axis using the magnetic moment and magnetic potential. The correct expression for the magnetic potential's angular component is -(Ia)/2cr^3, leading to a magnetic field on the Z axis of (Ia)/cr^3 \widehat{z} when taking the curl of A.
zokomoko

Homework Statement

A current loop (of circular shape) is located at the X-Y plane.
What is the magnetic field on the Z axis? (Use the magnetic moment and magnetic potential)

Homework Equations

M=(Ia)/c [tex]\widehat{z}[/tex]

A=(MXr)/r[tex]^{3}[/tex]

B=curl(A)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got that the magnetic potential's Z component is zero.
The magnetic potential's angular component is: -(Iar)/cr^3
The magnetic potential's radial component is: (Iar)/cr^3

But when I take the curl of A I get: (Ia/cr^3) [tex]\widehat{z}[/tex] , which is obviously not true.
I've gone over the calculations a few times, maybe there's something I'm missing.

Thanks in advance !

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

I believe you may have made a mistake in your calculation for the magnetic potential's angular component. The correct expression should be -(Ia)/2cr^3, as shown in the equation below:

A=(Mx)/r^3 = (Ia)/cr^3

Therefore, the magnetic field on the Z axis can be found by taking the curl of A, as you did before. The correct expression for the magnetic field on the Z axis is (Ia)/cr^3 \widehat{z}.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

I would first like to clarify that the equations provided in the homework statement are incorrect. The equations for the magnetic moment and magnetic potential should be:

M = IA/c
A = (μ0/4π)∫(J(r')/|r-r'|)dV

where μ0 is the permeability of free space, J(r') is the current density at a point r', and the integral is taken over the volume of the current loop.

With that being said, let's proceed with finding the magnetic field on the Z axis using the magnetic vector potential. Since the current loop is located in the X-Y plane, we can assume that the current is flowing in the clockwise direction when viewed from the positive Z axis. Using the right-hand rule, we can see that the magnetic moment vector M points in the positive Z direction.

Next, we need to calculate the magnetic potential at a point P on the Z axis. This can be done by integrating the magnetic potential equation over the volume of the current loop. Since the current loop is located in the X-Y plane, we can use cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) to evaluate the integral. The magnetic potential at point P can be written as:

A = (μ0/4π)∫(Ia/cosθ)/√(r^2+z^2) dθdr

where θ ranges from 0 to 2π and r ranges from 0 to the radius of the current loop.

Evaluating this integral, we get:

A = (μ0Ia/2πc)ln(r+√(r^2+z^2))

Now, we can take the curl of A to find the magnetic field on the Z axis:

B = curl(A) = (μ0Ia/2πc)(z/(r^2+z^2))

Therefore, the magnetic field on the Z axis is given by:

B = (μ0Ia/2πc)(z/(r^2+z^2)) \widehat{z}

As a final note, it is important to always double check equations and calculations to ensure their accuracy. In this case, the incorrect equations provided in the homework statement led to incorrect results. As a scientist, it is crucial to pay attention to details and verify all calculations to ensure the validity of our findings.

Related to How Does the Magnetic Field Behave Along the Z-Axis of a Current Loop?

1. What is magnetic vector potential?

Magnetic vector potential is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism that describes the magnetic field in terms of a vector function. It is used to simplify the calculations of magnetic fields in various situations and is closely related to the magnetic flux density.

2. How is magnetic vector potential calculated?

The magnetic vector potential is calculated using the vector potential equation, which involves integrating the current density over the volume in question. The resulting vector function can then be used to determine the magnetic field at any point in space.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic vector potential?

The magnetic vector potential is important because it allows for the simplification of calculations involving magnetic fields. It also provides a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with electric currents.

4. Can magnetic vector potential be measured?

No, magnetic vector potential cannot be directly measured. However, it can be inferred from measurements of the magnetic field and used to calculate the magnetic flux density at a specific point in space.

5. How does magnetic vector potential differ from electric potential?

Magnetic vector potential and electric potential are two different concepts. While magnetic vector potential describes the behavior of magnetic fields, electric potential describes the behavior of electric fields. Additionally, electric potential is a scalar quantity, while magnetic vector potential is a vector quantity.

Back