How Does the Michelson-Morley Experiment Detect Differences in Light Speed?

• B
  • Thread starter LSMOG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, Michaelson-Morley experiment would allow us to know if there was a difference in speeds of reflected beam. The beams would take different times to get to the output arm, so would be out of phase. You would see a different fringe pattern as a result.
LSMOG
In Michaelson-Morley experiment, how woul we know if there was a difference in speeds of reflected beam. Please, I am lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
The beams would take different times to get to the output arm, so would be out of phase. You would see a different fringe pattern as a result.

... you would know because of the interference pattern.
What level of education are you at?

Simon Bridge said:
... you would know because of the interference pattern.
What level of education are you at?
Its B level, I made a mistake to choose A level.
I thought the interference patterns tells us about the phase shift of the waves, I didn, know if it has anything to do with velocities. Am I correct?

You get a phase difference because of the different wave speeds. Think of the wave crests traveling through the two arms. If the speed of light is different then two wave crests leaving the beam splitter at the same time take different amounts of time to travel the same distance, so return at different times. That means there's a phase difference which depends on the difference in speeds along the two arms.

Actually, there is no phase difference and we have to develop relativity to explain that. But if there were a speed difference, the above is how an interferometer would detect it.

I'll leave Ibix to puzzle it out - check in in the morning (local time).
What does "B level" mean? To me "A level" was a UK exam for secondary school.
For "education level" please reply with highest education achieved - ie: secondary (high school) or tertiary (college) and what year (1st year, 2nd year etc).
For instance: Michealson-Morely experiment may be encountered, in NZ, in senior secondary school (year 11 or 12, ie 16-18yo) or in the 1st 2 years of University.
I'm puzzled because you have asked, in another thread, about how things get to have a colour - which would normally be covered, in NZ, in year 8 or 9 science classes (ie 13-14 yo students).

Simon Bridge said:
What does "B level" mean? To me "A level" was a UK exam for secondary school.
This refers to the PF thread levels. We allow the OP to specify the level of response that they would like in order to help us respond at a helpful level.

B level is "basic" it means that the OP is looking for answers at a pre-college level. Either no math or only algebra.

I level is "intermediate" it means that the OP is looking for answers at an undergraduate college level. Some simple calculus would be appropriate.

A level is "advanced" it means that the OP is looking for answers at a post-graduate college level. All advanced math is appropriate.

Likes Simon Bridge
Here is something I wrote for laymen. Maybe it will help. It helped me.

http://www.relativitysimulation.com/Documents/MichaelsonMorelyAnalogy.htm

Related to How Does the Michelson-Morley Experiment Detect Differences in Light Speed?

1. What is the Michaelson-Morley experiment?

The Michaelson-Morley experiment was a scientific experiment carried out in the late 19th century to measure the speed of light through the "luminiferous ether", a hypothetical medium thought to be responsible for the transmission of light. The experiment was designed to detect changes in the speed of light as the Earth moved through the ether.

2. What were the results of the Michaelson-Morley experiment?

The experiment yielded unexpected results, showing no significant difference in the speed of light in different directions, indicating that the ether did not exist as previously thought. This result was one of the key pieces of evidence that led to the development of Einstein's theory of special relativity.

3. What was the significance of the Michaelson-Morley experiment?

The Michaelson-Morley experiment was significant because it challenged the dominant theory of the time and led to the development of a new understanding of space and time. It also paved the way for future experiments and discoveries in the field of physics.

4. What were the criticisms of the Michaelson-Morley experiment?

One of the main criticisms of the experiment was that it was not sensitive enough to detect small changes in the speed of light. Some scientists also argued that the results could be explained by other factors, such as the rotation of the Earth or the motion of the experimental apparatus.

5. How has the Michaelson-Morley experiment influenced modern science?

The Michaelson-Morley experiment has had a major impact on modern science, particularly in the fields of physics and astronomy. Its results challenged long-held beliefs and paved the way for new theories and experiments, leading to a better understanding of the fundamental principles of the universe.