How Does the Particle's Velocity and Potential Shape Affect its Transit Time?

In summary, we discussed the potential energy function and initial conditions of a particle moving in a parabolic potential. We derived a general formula for the period of the particle's motion, which can be simplified for specific initial conditions. We also clarified the assumption of the particle starting at a small distance from the potential's minimum.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the particle moving in the potential $$V = \frac{1}{2} mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)\,\,\text{for}\,\,|x| < \ell\,\,\text{and}\,\,0\,\,\text{for}\,\,|x| \geq \ell$$

The particle starts moving to the right at ##x = -\ell## with positive velocity ##v##. How long will it take the particle to reach x=l in the cases v=0 and w=0? For the general case, evaluate the period by using a substitution of the form x = Asinθ, for some suitably chosen A such that $$t = \frac{2}{w}\arcsin\left[\frac{\ell w}{(v^2 + w^2 \ell^2)^{1/2}}\right]$$ Recover the result for v=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

The potential is parabolic with a minimum of V and intersecting x at ±l. The period t derived was $$t = \left(\frac{m}{2}\right)^{1/2} \int_a^b \frac{dx}{(E-V)^{1/2}},$$ with a<b. If v=0, then the particle was released with no kinetic energy T and so its energy is all potential. Since F conservative, E=V always. This makes the denominator 0 and so t tends to infinity (i.e the particle never reaches l). If w=0, V(x) = 0 and so E=T which gives a period of t = ##\sqrt{2m/T}\ell##

In general, I reduced the expression for t down to $$t =\sqrt{2} \sqrt{\frac{m}{2}} \int_a^b \frac{dx}{\sqrt{2E - mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)}}$$ and then let ##x =(l/\sqrt{2}) \sin \theta##. This gives $$\sqrt{m} \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} \frac{\ell \cos \theta d \theta}{\sqrt{2E + \frac{1}{2} m w^2\ell^2 \cos^2 \theta}}$$ but I can't see how to progress with this at the moment.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
If v=0, then the particle was released with no kinetic energy T and so its energy is all potential. Since F conservative, E=V always.
Why would E always equal V? If I drop a ball from rest at some height above the floor, then the ball starts with all potential energy. But it nevertheless picks up kinetic energy as it falls.

If w=0, V(x) = 0 and so E=T which gives a period of t = ##\sqrt{2m/T}\ell##
That looks right. You might want to express the answer in terms of the initial velocity.

In general, I reduced the expression for t down to $$t =\sqrt{2} \sqrt{\frac{m}{2}} \int_a^b \frac{dx}{\sqrt{2E - mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)}}$$ and then let ##x =(l/\sqrt{2}) \sin \theta##.

I think the integral is correct. Before deciding what to substitute for ##x##, try writing the denominator as

##\sqrt{2E - mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)} = B\sqrt{A^2 - x^2}## where ##A## and ##B## are certain constants.

Last edited:
TSny said:
Why would E always equal V? If I drop a ball from rest at some height above the floor, then the ball starts with all potential energy. But it nevertheless picks up kinetic energy as it falls.
Oops, rather I meant that the total energy is given by the initial conditions since F is conservative. So since v=0 (in this case), the total energy is given by E = (1/2)mw^2(x^2-l^2).

That looks right. You might want to express the answer in terms of the initial velocity.
##t = \sqrt{\frac{4}{v^2}} \ell##

I think the integral is correct. Before deciding what to substitute for ##x##, try writing the denominator as

##\sqrt{2E - mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)} = B\sqrt{A^2 - x^2}## where ##A## and ##B## are certain constants.

$$\sqrt{2E - mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)} = \sqrt{2E + mw^2\ell^2 - mw^2x^2} = \sqrt{mw^2(\frac{2E}{mw^2} + \ell^2 - x^2}$$So, $$ \sqrt{m} w \sqrt{\frac{2E}{mw^2} + \ell^2 - x^2},$$ with ##A^2 = \frac{2E}{mw^2} + \ell^2##, ##B = \sqrt{m} w##

With this, I reduce the integral to $$t = \frac{2}{w} \arcsin\left(\frac{\ell \sqrt{m}w}{\sqrt{2E + \ell^2 m w^2}}\right)$$ which is close but I need to reexpress E. Doing so, this just brings x = Asin (theta) back into play, which is not what I want.

Last edited:
CAF123 said:
##t = \sqrt{\frac{4}{v^2}} \ell##
This will simplify.

I reduce the integral to $$t = \frac{2}{w} \arcsin\left(\frac{\ell \sqrt{m}w}{\sqrt{2E + \ell^2 m w^2}}\right)$$ which is close but I need to reexpress E. Doing so, this just brings x = Asin (theta) back into play, which is not what I want.

Try Expressing E in terms of the initial velocity.

TSny said:
This will simplify.

Do you mean reexpress l as well using the below eqn for energy?

Try Expressing E in terms of the initial velocity.

What I have for E is ##\frac{m}{2}v^2 + \frac{1}{2}mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)##, however subbing this in will give me x (=Asinθ) back into the eqn.

CAF123 said:
Do you mean reexpress l as well using the below eqn for energy?
Simplify ##\sqrt{\frac{4}{v^2}}## in the expression ##\sqrt{\frac{4}{v^2}}\;l##

What I have for E is ##\frac{m}{2}v^2 + \frac{1}{2}mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)##, however subbing this in will give me x (=Asinθ) back into the eqn.

Express E in terms of the initial velocity. What is the value of x when v is the initial velocity?

TSny said:
Simplify ##\sqrt{\frac{4}{v^2}}## in the expression ##\sqrt{\frac{4}{v^2}}\;l##

Duh! ##\frac{2}{v}\ell##

Express E in terms of the initial velocity. What is the value of x when v is the initial velocity?

I got it and it makes sense, thank you. It says I should recover my expression for the case of v=o. However, I said that it would take an infinite amount of time for the particle to reach l but it seems from the general expression derived for t, that this is not the case.

Your conclusion of infinite time for initial v = 0 was based on the assumption that the velocity would always remain zero. The potential energy function has a sharp corner at ##x = -l##. So, the force acting on the particle is not defined there. But, I think the problem wants you to assume that you are letting the particle start at ##x = -l + \epsilon## where ##\epsilon## is a positive infinitesimal quantity. Then, there will be a force acting on the particle at the point of release and the particle will accelerate toward x = 0 and reach ##x = +l## in a finite time.

TSny said:
Your conclusion of infinite time for initial v = 0 was based on the assumption that the velocity would always remain zero. The potential energy function has a sharp corner at ##x = -l##. So, the force acting on the particle is not defined there. But, I think the problem wants you to assume that you are letting the particle start at ##x = -l + \epsilon## where ##\epsilon## is a positive infinitesimal quantity. Then, there will be a force acting on the particle at the point of release and the particle will accelerate toward x = 0 and reach ##x = +l## in a finite time.

How would I go about finding the finite time? I know that the energy of the particle is ##E = \frac{1}{2}mw^2(x^2-l^2)## since F is conservative. This was of the same form as the potential energy so E-V = 0 and the denominator of the expression for t is zero and since the numerator is finite, the whole expression tends to infinity. (so I then concluded that t was infinite). Where is my error here?

CAF123 said:
How would I go about finding the finite time? I know that the energy of the particle is ##E = \frac{1}{2}mw^2(x^2-l^2)## since F is conservative.

No, that expression for E is incorrect.

The general expression for the total energy when the particle is between ##x = -l## and ##x = l## is $$E = T + V =\frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2} mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)$$
where, here, ##v## is the velocity when the particle is at position ##x##.

The energy is a constant, so it can be evaluated at any point of the motion. For the case where you let the particle start at rest at ##x = -l##, what is the value of the total energy E?

TSny said:
No, that expression for E is incorrect.

The general expression for the total energy when the particle is between ##x = -l## and ##x = l## is $$E = T + V =\frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{1}{2} mw^2(x^2-\ell^2)$$
where, here, ##v## is the velocity when the particle is at position ##x##.

The energy is a constant, so it can be evaluated at any point of the motion. For the case where you let the particle start at rest at ##x = -l##, what is the value of the total energy E?

The energy would be zero there and so the total energy of the particle is zero always with the kinetic = -potential. So then E-V = -V = T. In my expression for t, I get $$\frac{1}{w} \int_{-l}^{l} \frac{dx}{\sqrt{l^2-x^2}}$$ which gives me ##\frac{\pi}{w}## not the 2/w I think I want.

##t = \pi/\omega## is correct. Look at your potential energy function:

##V(x) = \frac{1}{2}m\;\omega^2(x^2-l^2) = \frac{1}{2}m\;\omega^2 x^2 - \frac{1}{2}m\;\omega^2 l^2##

The last term is just a constant that determines the zero point of potential energy. Ignoring that constant, do you see that ##V(x)## is the potential energy for a simple harmonic oscillator of mass ##m## and angular frequency ##\omega##?

How should the time to go from ##x = -l## to ##x = l## (starting from rest) be related to the period of SHM?

TSny said:
##t = \pi/\omega## is correct. Look at your potential energy function:

##V(x) = \frac{1}{2}m\;\omega^2(x^2-l^2) = \frac{1}{2}m\;\omega^2 x^2 - \frac{1}{2}m\;\omega^2 l^2##

The last term is just a constant that determines the zero point of potential energy. Ignoring that constant, do you see that ##V(x)## is the potential energy for a simple harmonic oscillator of mass ##m## and angular frequency ##\omega##?
Yes, with 'spring constant' k = mw^2.

How should the time to go from ##x = -l## to ##x = l## (starting from rest) be related to the period of SHM?
The time from -l to l will be exactly half the period of SHM. This gives me what I want, that is pi/w. (ignore what I said about 2/w). I was a bit sloppy with my notation earlier - the eqn I derived was not the period, it was half a period. Another quick question: when I got pi/w, I did the integral from 0 to l and multiplied by 2 because of symmetry. However, if you do it from -l to l, you get a negative pi/w. What is the physical reasoning behind this?
Thanks

Last edited:
The integral from -l to l should be positive. If you want to post the details of how you got a negative value, we can look at it.

So what I am integrating is $$\frac{1}{w} \int_{-l}^l \frac{dx}{\sqrt{l^2-x^2}} = \frac{1}{w} \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2} d\theta\,\text{with the substitution x = l \sin \theta}$$ When ##x=l, \sin \theta = 1 ## and so principal value for theta is ##\pi/2##. Similarly, for x=-l, ##\sin \theta = -1## which gives ##\theta = 3\pi/2## as the principal value. Then $$\frac{1}{w}\left[\frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{3\pi}{2}\right] = -\frac{\pi}{w}$$

The principle value of arcsin(-1) is ##-\pi/2##.

TSny said:
The principle value of arcsin(-1) is ##-\pi/2##.

Thanks TSny,

Related to How Does the Particle's Velocity and Potential Shape Affect its Transit Time?

What is a "Particle in a Potential"?

A "Particle in a Potential" refers to a simple model used in physics to describe the behavior of a particle in a given potential energy field. It assumes that the particle has a well-defined position and momentum, and that its behavior can be described by the laws of classical mechanics.

What is a potential energy field?

A potential energy field is a region in space where a particle can experience a force due to its position. This force can be attractive or repulsive, and it is related to the potential energy of the particle in that field. Examples of potential energy fields include gravitational, electric, and magnetic fields.

How is the motion of a particle in a potential described?

The motion of a particle in a potential is described by the Schrödinger equation, a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. This equation takes into account the potential energy of the particle, as well as its kinetic energy and the effects of any external forces acting on it.

What is the significance of studying particles in potentials?

Particles in potentials are important models in physics because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of particles in various physical systems. They are also used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electronic devices and in studying the behavior of atoms and molecules.

What are some real-life examples of particles in potentials?

Some real-life examples of particles in potentials include electrons in an atom, which are bound by the electric potential energy of the nucleus, and a marble rolling down a hill, which is affected by the gravitational potential energy of the Earth.