How does the ring move after the current is reduced?

• Thread starter svayl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring Wire
In summary, when the wire's current is reduced from I to I/2, the positively charged ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the wire due to the induced electric field and the resulting force and torque acting on it.
svayl

Homework Statement

The figure shows an insulating ring and an infinite straight wire resting on the surface of an infinite plane. The wire is fixed in position, but the ring slides without friction on the surface of the plane. The ring is uniformly charged, with net positive charge Q. Initially, the wire carries a constant current I towards the top of the figure, and the ring is stationary. At time t=0, the current in the wire is reduced to I/2. Which of the following best describes the motion of the ring after the current is reduced?

1. The ring will spin clockwise and slide away from the wire.
2. The ring will spin clockwise and slide towards the wire.
3. The ring will spin clockwise and remain stationary.
4. The ring will not spin, but it will slide towards the wire.
5. The ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the wire.
6. The ring will spin counterclockwise and remain stationary.
7. The ring will not spin, but it will slide away from the wire.
8. The ring will spin clockwise and slide towards the top of the figure.
9. The ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the top of the figure.
10. The ring will not spin, but it will slide towards the bottom of the figure.
11. None of the above (please describe what does happen).

Hint: Think of the induced electric fields. If they can make current move, they can also apply a force or torque to a charge on an insulator.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is that it would spin...since is loses current. I am having trouble figuring out its direction. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first start by analyzing the situation and identifying the relevant physical principles at play. In this case, we have an insulating ring with a net positive charge Q, a straight wire carrying a current I, and an infinite plane. We also know that the ring is able to slide without friction on the surface of the plane.

From the hint given, we can consider the concept of induced electric fields. When the wire's current is reduced from I to I/2, this will cause a change in the magnetic field around the wire. This changing magnetic field will then induce an electric field in the surrounding space, including within the ring itself. This induced electric field will then exert a force on the positively charged ring, causing it to move.

Now, we need to determine the direction of this induced electric field. Since the wire's current is decreasing, the induced electric field will be in the opposite direction of the original current. This means that the induced electric field will be directed towards the bottom of the figure, as shown in the image.

Based on this, we can then consider the direction of the force on the ring. Since the ring is positively charged, it will experience a force in the direction of the induced electric field, which in this case is towards the bottom of the figure. This means that the ring will slide towards the wire, and since there is no friction, it will also spin counterclockwise due to the torque exerted by the electric field on the ring.

Therefore, the correct answer would be option 9: The ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the wire. This is because the induced electric field will cause the ring to experience a force towards the bottom of the figure, resulting in both sliding and spinning motion.

Related to How does the ring move after the current is reduced?

What is an insulating ring?

An insulating ring is a circular object made of a material that does not conduct electricity. It is commonly used in electrical circuits to prevent the flow of electricity between two parts of the circuit.

What is the purpose of an insulating ring in a circuit?

The purpose of an insulating ring is to prevent electrical current from flowing between two parts of a circuit. This can help to avoid short circuits and ensure that the electrical current follows the intended path.

What is a straight wire?

A straight wire is a wire that is completely straight and has no bends or curves. It is commonly used in electrical circuits to connect different components or to provide a path for electrical current to flow.

What is the difference between an insulating ring and a straight wire?

An insulating ring is used to prevent electrical current from flowing, while a straight wire is used to provide a path for electrical current to flow. Additionally, insulating rings are typically made of non-conductive materials, while straight wires are made of conductive materials.

Can an insulating ring be used as a substitute for a straight wire?

No, an insulating ring cannot be used as a substitute for a straight wire. Insulating rings are used to prevent electrical current from flowing, while straight wires are used to provide a path for electrical current to flow. Using an insulating ring in place of a straight wire would disrupt the circuit and prevent current from flowing properly.