How does the strong force give nucleons most of their mass?

Ignorantsmith12
TL;DR Summary
I've heard three different explanations for how the strong force gives nucleons their mass.
1. The force is incredibly strong therefore much energy and E=MC^2
2. The glueon field has particles bumbling in and out of existence.
3. The glueon field is like a Higgs field.
Which, if any, of these explanations if any is true?
First, I did read this article on Byrons: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/a-beginners-guide-to-baryons/. If the answer to my question is in there, I'm sorry, but I missed it somehow. Honestly, much of that article went over my head.

Other than that, it's as the TLDR says. I have heard these three different explanations for how the strong force that gives mass to nucleons and have no idea which one, if any, to believe. By the way, I've also heard some of the particles suddenly materializing for microseconds can be larger than the nucleon itself. If that's true, I would love to know how that works.

As for the Higgs field analogy, going into detail about the Higgs field might be for another thread. Suffice it to say that I have heard that the Higgs field is not like mud, and that is a lazy explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
None of them are right.
All of them are right.

Popularizations are what they are - an imperfect description of something that takes years of schooling to fully understand. Have you ever heard the tale of the blind men and the elephant?