How does the three-body system (Earth, moon, Sun) work?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of why the moon's orbit's apogee moves around Earth over time and the influence of the Sun, moon, and Earth on each other. One person believes that astro-physicists have yet to understand this, while another believes they understand it but have difficulty making accurate calculations due to Einstein's theory of relativity. However, this is not true as there is a wealth of information available on the internet explaining the orbit of the moon and its peculiarities. The development of this description dates back to the late 18th and early 19th centuries, with many key figures involved. The description of the moon's orbit was completed about 100 years ago and any new developments are just tweaks
spare ohs
I have only taken my high school Physics course so excuse me if I don't understand some things right away. I looked at the two stickies and neither seemed to explain my question.

I have been trying to understand why the moon's orbit's apogee moves around Earth over a period of time. The moon's orbit isn't quite an ellipse because of the Sun's gravitational pull. I want to understand how the three bodies (the Sun, moon and Earth) influence each other. I have been told by one person that astro-physicists have yet to understand this and I have been told by someone else that they understand it but are just having a hard time making accurate calculations partly because they have to take into account Einstein's theory of relativity. However, I can't find any articles on the internet that attempt to explain the orbit of the moon in detail and the reasons for the peculiarity in it's orbit.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
spare ohs said:
I have been told by one person that astro-physicists have yet to understand this
Not true. That person probably read somewhere that three body problem is not soluble. That isn't true. What is true is that the three body does not have a general solution in the elementary functions. So what. Numerical techniques can (and are) employed, and for that matter, numerical techniques would have to be employed even if a solution did exist in the elementary functions.

and I have been told by someone else that they understand it but are just having a hard time making accurate calculations partly because they have to take into account Einstein's theory of relativity.
Also not true. The effects of general relativity are known, and in the case of the Moon, they are exceedingly small. The geodetic precession of the Moon is 19.2 milliarcseconds per year. Written another way, that is 360 degrees per 67.5 million years.

However, I can't find any articles on the internet that attempt to explain the orbit of the moon in detail and the reasons for the peculiarity in it's orbit.
You aren't using the right search terms. Here is one that yields a wealth of information. I won't even be mean and use "let me google that for you".com.

http://www.google.com/search?q=lunar+theory+site:adsabs.harvard.edu

A large number of those entries are in the late 18th century / early 19th century. The key people in the development of this description include E.W. Brown, C.E. Delaunay, G.H. Hill, A.E.H. Love, and G.B. Airy. The description of the Moon's orbit was pretty much complete about 100 years ago. Everything since then is more or less tweaking of an already solid theory.

Related to How does the three-body system (Earth, moon, Sun) work?

1. How do the Earth, moon, and Sun interact with each other in a three-body system?

The three-body system of the Earth, moon, and Sun is primarily governed by the force of gravity. The Sun's gravitational pull keeps the Earth and moon in their respective orbits around it. The moon also exerts a gravitational force on the Earth, causing tides and contributing to the Earth's rotational motion. The Earth's gravitational pull on the moon helps to maintain its orbit around the Earth.

2. What causes the phases of the moon in a three-body system?

The phases of the moon in a three-body system are caused by the relative positions of the Earth, moon, and Sun. As the moon orbits the Earth, the Sun's light hits the moon from different angles, causing different portions of the moon to be illuminated. This is what creates the different phases of the moon, such as a full moon, half moon, and new moon.

3. What is the role of the Earth's tilt in a three-body system?

The Earth's tilt, also known as its axial tilt, plays a crucial role in the three-body system. It is the reason for the changing seasons on Earth. As the Earth orbits the Sun, its tilt causes different parts of the Earth to receive varying amounts of sunlight, resulting in the seasons. The tilt also affects the moon's orbit, contributing to the formation of tides.

4. How does the three-body system affect life on Earth?

The three-body system of the Earth, moon, and Sun has a significant impact on life on Earth. The Sun provides the energy and heat necessary for life to exist, while the moon's gravitational pull helps to stabilize the Earth's axial tilt, making it more habitable. The tides caused by the moon also play a crucial role in ocean ecosystems and nutrient cycles on Earth.

5. How does the three-body system change over time?

The three-body system of the Earth, moon, and Sun is constantly evolving due to the forces of gravity and other external factors. The moon's orbit around the Earth is slowly increasing, causing it to move away from the Earth at a rate of about 3.8 centimeters per year. This affects the Earth's rotation and could potentially have long-term effects on the three-body system. Additionally, the Sun's own orbit around the center of the Milky Way galaxy is constantly changing, which could also impact the three-body system in the future.

Back