How Does the Transformation in Sakurai's Quantum Mechanics Work?

• Thread starter omoplata
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary, the first equation calculates the negative of the second equation. The second equation calculates the positive of the first equation.
omoplata
The following is from 'Modern Quantum Mechanics' by J.J. Sakurai, page 159.

[tex] \left( \frac{ \hbar }{ 2 } \right) \exp \left( \frac{i S_{z} \phi}{\hbar} \right) \left{ left( \mid + \rangle \langle - \mid \right) + \left( \mid - \rangle \langle + \mid \right) right} \exp \left( \frac{- i S_{z} \phi}{\hbar} [/tex]

[tex] = \left( \frac{\hbar}{2} \right) \left( e^{i \phi / 2} \mid + \rangle \langle - \mid e^{i \phi / 2} + e^{- i \phi / 2} \mid - \rangle \langle + \mid e^{- i \phi / 2} \right) [/tex]

How do I get from the first to the second?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops. Posted before I wanted to. How do I delete this?

You can't delete the thread, just individual posts, as long as nobody answered to you already. Just click the edit button on your first post and add the full question.

Last edited:
You can edit your post for 12 hours after you posted it.

Keep in mind that you need to refresh and resend after each preview to see the right LaTeX images.

I ran into trouble with LaTeX.

This is what I wanted to post. What am I doing wrong?

for the first expression,

\left( \frac{ \hbar }{ 2 } \right) \exp \left( \frac{i S_{z} \phi}{\hbar} \right) \left{ left( \mid + \rangle \langle - \mid \right) + \left( \mid - \rangle \langle + \mid \right) right} \exp \left( \frac{- i S_{z} \phi}{\hbar}

for the second expression,

= \left( \frac{\hbar}{2} \right) \left( e^{i \phi / 2} \mid + \rangle \langle - \mid e^{i \phi / 2} + e^{- i \phi / 2} \mid - \rangle \langle + \mid e^{- i \phi / 2} \right)

Looks like I got the second one right. What's wrong with the first one?

omoplata said:
[tex]\left( \frac{ \hbar }{ 2 } \right) \exp \left( \frac{i S_{z} \phi}{\hbar} \right) \left{ left( \mid + \rangle \langle - \mid \right) + \left( \mid - \rangle \langle + \mid \right) right} \exp \left( \frac{- i S_{z} \phi}{\hbar}[/tex]
What's wrong with the first one?
No \right) at the end. A couple of missing \ symbols. { isn't displayed unless you type it as \{.

OK, the operators act on the [itex] |\pm\rangle [/itex] vectors, according to their definitions. These vectors are eigenvectors of the S_z spin operator, so making the 2 calculations shouln't be difficult. The exponential of a self-adjoint operator is a unitary operator. If you know the eigenvalue of the s-a operator, it's easy to find the eigenvalues of the unitary operator which is associated to it.

Thanks bigubau.

I think there's something wrong with my browser or something ( firefox 3.6.13 in ubuntu ). I can see the first LaTeX expression where Fredrik has quoted me. But I can't see it on my own post.

Your post doesn't contain any tex tags. I typed them around the math expression I quoted. :smile:

Fredrik said:
Your post doesn't contain any tex tags. I typed them around the math expression I quoted. :smile:

Oh, no. I mean my very first post in this tread. I can't see the first LaTeX expression.

OK, I can see it now.

But I couldn't see it before.

My conclusion is one of two things.
1. I am going crazy.
2. My browser was displaying an incorrect LaTeX image and something (refreshing the browser? ) happened which caused the LaTeX image to be displayed correctly.

Either way, thanks for the help everyone.

omoplata said:
OK, I can see it now.

But I couldn't see it before.

My conclusion is one of two things.
1. I am going crazy.
2. My browser was displaying an incorrect LaTeX image and something (refreshing the browser? ) happened which caused the LaTeX image to be displayed correctly.

Either way, thanks for the help everyone.
Definitely 2, although that doesn't rule out that 1 is true as well. :wink: You need to refresh and resend after each preview, and if you didn't do that after the last change you made before you saved the changes, you need to refresh the page one more time after it shows up the first time.

Edit: I noticed today that you may have to refresh the page after saving the changes, even if you did refresh and resend after each preview. I also found out that the time you're allowed to edit a post is 11 hours and 40 minutes, not 12 hours as I said above.

Last edited:
I tend to calculate it in the representation of [tex]S_{z}[/tex]'s. So,
[tex]S_{z}\mid +>=\frac{\hbar}{2}\mid +>[/tex]
[tex]S_{z}\mid - >=-\frac{\hbar}{2}\mid ->[/tex]
Then, according to the definition of [tex]exp(\hat{F})[/tex],
[tex]exp(\frac{iS_{z} \phi}{\hbar})\mid + >=exp(\frac{i\phi}{2})\mid + >[/tex]
[tex]exp(\frac{iS_{z} \phi}{\hbar})\mid - >=exp(\frac{-i\phi}{2})\mid - >[/tex]
Then, operating the equations above with dagger, you can get,
[tex]< + \mid exp(\frac{-iS_{z} \phi}{\hbar})=< + \mid exp(\frac{-i\phi}{2})[/tex]
[tex]< - \mid exp(\frac{-iS_{z} \phi}{\hbar})=< - \mid exp(\frac{i\phi}{2})[/tex]
You can work the second now.

Related to How Does the Transformation in Sakurai's Quantum Mechanics Work?

What is "Problem understanding Sakurai"?

"Problem understanding Sakurai" refers to the difficulty in comprehending the concepts and theories presented in the book "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Jun John Sakurai. This book is commonly used in advanced undergraduate and graduate level courses in quantum mechanics.

Why is "Problem understanding Sakurai" a common issue?

The concepts and theories in Sakurai's book can be complex and abstract, making it challenging for readers to fully grasp the material without a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Additionally, Sakurai's writing style can be dense and technical, making it difficult for some readers to follow along.

What are some strategies for improving understanding of Sakurai's book?

Some strategies for improving understanding of Sakurai's book include having a solid understanding of mathematical and physical concepts, breaking down the material into smaller sections, seeking clarification from a professor or tutor, and working through practice problems and examples.

How can I overcome "Problem understanding Sakurai"?

Overcoming "Problem understanding Sakurai" may require persistence, patience, and consistent effort. It may also be helpful to supplement with other resources, such as textbooks or online lectures, to gain a better understanding of the material.

Are there any alternative resources to Sakurai's book for learning quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many alternative resources for learning quantum mechanics, such as other textbooks, online lectures, and video tutorials. It is important to find a resource that aligns with your learning style and provides clear explanations of the material.