How Does Thermal Equilibrium Affect Ideal Gases in a Partitioned System?

In summary, the final temperature is equal to the sum of the final temperatures of Gas 1 and Gas 2. The total change in energy is negative.
oxman

Homework Statement

Two ideal gases are separated by a partition which does not allow molecules to pass from one volume to the other. Gas 1 has: N1, V1, T1, Cv1 for the number of molecules, volume it occupies, temperature in kelvin, and specific heat per molecule at constant volume respectively. Gas 2 has: N2, V2, T2, Cv2. The two gases are in thermal contact and reach a final temperature

a) find the final temperature and the total change in energy of the combined system. Check your answer for the final temperature when N1=N2, V1=V2. Cv1=Cv2

b)Evaluate the total change ina quantity H whose differential change is dH=dU+Vdp for each component and for the entire system

c)evaluate the total change in a quantity A whose differential change is dA=(dU+pdV)/T for each component and for the entire system

Homework Equations

U=NVCvdT

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved for the final temperature for part a, and when evaluated at equal N and V i got Tf=(T2+T1)/2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

And what is your question?

i have no idea what is meant by parts b and c

i understand that U=NCvdT

so N1Cv1(Tf-T1)=-N2Cv2(Tf-T2)

and i think i understand how to solve for the total change in energy

oxman said:
i understand that U=NCvdT
That would be dU.

oxman said:
and i think i understand how to solve for the total change in energy
Please tell.

To get dH and dA, you'll have to integrate the equations from the initial conditions to the final conditions.

solving for Tf i get, Tf= ((N1Cv1T1+N2Cv2T2)/(N1Cv1+N2Cv2))

from there i solved for dU1 and dU2 where dU1=N1Cv1(Tf-T1) dU2=N2Cv2(Tf-T2)

i then added them together to get total change in energy

for dA i solved for dA1 and dA2 integrated them and then added them together

essentially for A i got

A=c1ln(Tf/T1) + c2ln(Tf/T2) where c1=N1Cv1 c2=N2Cv2

pdV goes to 0 because there is no change in any of the volumes

correct?

Related to How Does Thermal Equilibrium Affect Ideal Gases in a Partitioned System?

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept in thermodynamics that describes a hypothetical gas with molecules that have no volume and do not interact with each other. This means that an ideal gas follows the gas laws perfectly and has no intermolecular forces.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, also known as the general gas equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is often written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is temperature.

What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept, while a real gas is an actual gas that exists in the real world. Real gases have volume and do interact with each other, which means they do not follow the gas laws perfectly. In high pressures and low temperatures, real gases deviate more from ideal behavior.

What are the assumptions of ideal gas behavior?

The assumptions of ideal gas behavior include that the gas molecules have no volume, do not interact with each other, and have elastic collisions. Additionally, the temperature and pressure of the gas must be within a certain range for ideal gas behavior to be observed.

What are some real-life applications of ideal gas thermodynamics?

Ideal gas thermodynamics is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of engines and turbines, the production of industrial gases, and the study of atmospheric conditions. It is also used in the ideal gas law calculator to predict the behavior of gases in various conditions.