How does thinking create action potentials?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of decision-making and how the brain initiates action potential for voluntary actions. The concept of free will is also briefly mentioned, with the idea that brain states are fully dependent on prior brain states and there is no definitive answer on whether free will truly exists.
sameeralord
Hello guys,

I don't know much about brain and stuff I only know a bit about action potential. My question is I can understand how sensory nerves by a stimulus, but let's say I want to pick a pen. How does brain initiate the action potential for that? This might have been dicussed before but I'm not sure what to type in google to find the answer. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
Hello guys,

I don't know much about brain and stuff I only know a bit about action potential. My question is I can understand how sensory nerves by a stimulus, but let's say I want to pick a pen. How does brain initiate the action potential for that? This might have been dicussed before but I'm not sure what to type in google to find the answer. Thanks :smile:

You first recognize the need for an implement to write with... a decision must be made, which causes diffuse activity, but especially in the frontal lobe. You're still reacting to stimulus, at whatever remove.

If you remove all external stimulus from a person, their mind will begin to create "phantoms" to fill the void. In the proper context, this is often an aspect of torture, although great care is taken because it is too easy to induce serious panic or even dissociation or dissociative fugue. That of course, makes information gleaned worthless.

Now, if you enter a sensory deprivation 'tank', and you know you can leave it at any time.. some people find that same experience relaxing. Inevitably however, our brains provide stimulus in the absence of any external source. We are ALWAYS 'on'.

sameeralord said:
Hello guys,

How can you be sure the decision to pick up the pen isn't a response to a stimulus?

Pythagorean said:
How can you be sure the decision to pick up the pen isn't a response to a stimulus?

Of course, you can't be.

Nature 2009 said:
...He cites the
example of a patient whose corpus callosum
had been severed as a treatment for epilepsy,
making it impossible for one side of the brain
to communicate with the other. Gazzaniga and
his colleagues presented the word ‘walk’ to the
patient’s left visual field, which corresponds to
the right side of the brain. When the patient
stood up and began walking, they asked him
why; the right side of the patient’s brain had
been shown to lack the ability to process language.
His left brain, which never received the
walk command, but which handles language
processing, quickly invented a logical explanation:
“I wanted to go get a Coke.”
Analogous effects have been found

http://hd.media.mit.edu/01.29.09_naturemag_secsig.pdf <-- Above quote.

Really, there you have it.

You decide to pick up a pen through various cascade pathways, you gather sensory information via afferent neurons, see pen, then your brain will send signals to your motor neurons, causing you to pick up the pen. Very very brief explanation, if you want more detail check out: http://wps.aw.com/bc_marieb_ehap_8/25/6527/1670985.cw/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
sameeralord said:
Hello guys,

What you are asking, I think, is how a purely volitional act originates in the brain; not as a direct response to some immediate or recent stimulus coming from the sensory input. This might be called "free will"; the idea that you can just decide to do something that is not effectively predetermined in some way. You'll find a lot of discussions about that, but no good answers. The fact is, no one knows. Neuroscientists however generally take the view that brain states are fully dependent on prior brain states (which take into account all sensory input) and there really is no such thing as 'free will'.

Last edited:

Related to How does thinking create action potentials?

1. How does thinking create action potentials?

Thinking involves the activation of neurons in the brain, which communicate with each other through electrical and chemical signals. This communication results in the generation of action potentials, which are electrical impulses that travel along the axons of the neurons.

2. What triggers the creation of action potentials during thinking?

The creation of action potentials is triggered by the electrical signals that are generated when neurons receive and process information from the environment or from other neurons. These signals can be excitatory or inhibitory, and the balance between them determines whether an action potential is generated.

3. How does the brain control the timing and strength of action potentials during thinking?

The timing and strength of action potentials are controlled by the patterns of neural activity in the brain. The frequency and intensity of these patterns determine the timing and strength of action potentials, which ultimately influence the thoughts and actions of an individual.

4. Can thinking influence the creation of action potentials in specific areas of the brain?

Yes, thinking can influence the creation of action potentials in specific areas of the brain. This is because different regions of the brain are responsible for different functions, and the patterns of neural activity in these regions can be modulated by thinking or specific tasks.

5. How do changes in action potential patterns affect thinking and behavior?

Changes in action potential patterns can affect thinking and behavior in various ways. For example, an increase in the frequency of action potentials may lead to increased cognitive processing and heightened attention, while a decrease in action potentials may result in reduced brain activity and decreased performance on tasks. Additionally, imbalances in action potential patterns have been linked to various neurological and psychiatric disorders.