How does this short circuit affect this circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of short circuiting an ideal voltage source and how it affects the circuit. It is clarified that the switch in the circuit does not directly short the 25V source, but rather isolates the left and right sides of the circuit. After the switch is closed, the left and right sides of the circuit operate independently.
Vishera

Homework Statement

Q85LpyG.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the value for i as i→∞. Since ∞>0, I must look at the circuit when t>0. However, when t>0, there is a short circuit. I know that you can short circuit resistors so I can easily short circuit the 3 ohm resistor but what about the 25V voltage source? Isn't short circuiting an ideal voltage source a contradiction because both ends of the voltage source have the same voltage but the entire point of a voltage source is to produce a voltage difference between the two ends?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vishera said:

Homework Statement

Q85LpyG.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the value for i as i→∞. Since ∞>0, I must look at the circuit when t>0. However, when t>0, there is a short circuit. I know that you can short circuit resistors so I can easily short circuit the 3 ohm resistor but what about the 25V voltage source? Isn't short circuiting an ideal voltage source a contradiction because both ends of the voltage source have the same voltage but the entire point of a voltage source is to produce a voltage difference between the two ends?

When that switch closes, it shorts the middle part of the circuit. It does not directly short the 25V source, which would be a bad thing as you say.

Just re-draw the circuit with the switch closed. See how the short basically isolates the left and right sides of the circuit? After the switch is closed, the left and right sides of the circuit operate independently.

Likes 1 person

Related to How does this short circuit affect this circuit?

1. How does a short circuit occur in a circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is an unintended connection between two points in a circuit that have different potential differences. This can be caused by a damaged wire, faulty component, or incorrect wiring.

2. What are the effects of a short circuit on a circuit?

A short circuit can cause a sudden increase in current flow, which can lead to overheating and damage to components. It can also result in a loss of power or malfunctioning of the circuit.

3. How does a short circuit affect the voltage in a circuit?

A short circuit can cause a significant drop in voltage as the current is diverted away from its intended path. This can lead to a loss of power and affect the performance of the circuit.

4. Can a short circuit cause a fire?

Yes, a short circuit can cause a fire if there is enough current flowing and the heat generated is not dissipated quickly enough. This is why it is important to have safety measures in place to prevent or quickly address short circuits.

5. How can a short circuit be prevented?

A short circuit can be prevented by regularly inspecting and maintaining the circuit, using proper wiring techniques, and avoiding overloading the circuit with too much current. It is also important to use high-quality components to reduce the risk of short circuits.