How does this train work? (vid)

• Thread starter Daniel0099
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics project involving the use of magnets and a linear motor. The participants also mention a previous thread on the same topic and provide a basic explanation of how the motor works. There is a brief discussion about the potential for the motor to be a perpetual motion machine, but it is concluded that it is not due to the need for a battery as an energy source.
Daniel0099

Can someone briefly describe to me how this works? I am making my own for a physics project and have to do a report with it. What is this an application of / What should I go over in the report, I originally found this when doing a project on Maglev trains but i don't know if it is a similar concept.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I saw a thread on that same thing on here within the last couple of months approx.

did some quick searches .. couldn't find what I was after ... some one else may remember the thread

Last edited:
Daniel0099 said:
Can someone briefly describe to me how this works?

Yes, e.g. with a moving magnet under the table.

DrStupid said:
Yes, e.g. with a moving magnet under the table.
Is it your contention that this is a trick?

Likes davenn
DaveC426913 said:

Agree with you Dave

It is a valid video ... I still cannot find the other thread :(

Tentative attempt at rudimentary explanation I wouldn't vouch for with my head:

Magnets are typically coated in conductive metal, like nickel, for extended durability. Even if themselves not conductive, their metallic coating will conduct electricity from the battery to the copper coil. The current will flow between + an - through the coil, creating a magnetic field in the process:
electricity-navy-basics-97.jpg

The induced magnetic field will interact with the field of the magnets, propelling the "train" forward.

Likes davenn
The dup was deleted, with my explanation. The magnets act as conducting contacts with the bare wire coil. The very clever gadget is a linear motor.

The solenoid needs to be bare copper wire, not enamelled, so as the magnets rub along the copper some current flows through that short section of the coil. The ingenuity of some people knows no bounds. :)

Make sure the turns are not each touching, or the current will short out and not go the full distance around each turn. I expect the solenoid after winding will expand a bit, like a spring, so shorted turns should not be a problem.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
DaveC426913 said:

Yes. The circle would be a Perpetuum mobile.

DrStupid said:
Yes. The circle would be a Perpetuum mobile.
It would not, it is propelled by the energy stored in the battery. When the battery is discharged, it will not work any more.

Likes davenn
Orodruin said:
it is propelled by the energy stored in the battery

That sounds reasonable.

Related to How does this train work? (vid)

1. How does a train move?

Trains move through the use of an engine, which is powered by either diesel fuel or electricity. The engine turns the wheels, propelling the train forward on the tracks.

2. How does a train stay on the tracks?

Trains have wheels that are designed to fit onto the tracks, keeping them stable and on course. The tracks also have grooves and curves that guide the train's movement.

3. How does a train stop?

Trains have brakes that are controlled by the engineer. These brakes apply pressure to the wheels, causing them to slow down and eventually stop the train.

4. How does a train change direction?

Trains change direction by using switches, also known as points or turnouts. These are movable sections of track that allow the train to switch from one track to another.

5. How does a train's speed and direction get controlled?

The speed and direction of a train are controlled by the engineer in the locomotive. They can adjust the throttle to increase or decrease speed, and use switches and brakes to change direction and stop the train.