How Does Throwing a Snowball Affect an Ice Skater's Movement?

• Thread starter MBURNS001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the problem involves a 60kg ice skater at rest on frictionless ice who throws a 12kg snowball with a velocity of 3.0i + 4.0j m/s. The task is to determine the subsequent velocity of the skater, using the equation p=mv. The attempted solution involves converting the velocity into standard form and using the equation m1v1=m2v2, but the correctness of this approach is uncertain.
MBURNS001

Homework Statement

A 60Kg ice skater, at rest on frictionaless lce, tosses a 12kg snowball with velocity given by v= 3.0i + 4.0j m/s, where the x and y axes are both in the horizontal plane. What is the subsequent belocity of the skater?

Homework Equations

p=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this was a momentum problem where I had to convert the velocity out of i + j form. I think it is 5 m/s.

I tried m1v1=m2v2 but i am not sure if that is right...

Physics news on Phys.org
MBURNS001 said:
I tried m1v1=m2v2 but i am not sure if that is right...

It might be. What are m1, m2, v1, and v2?

I would like to clarify that this problem is indeed a momentum problem. The equation p=mv is correct, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. In this problem, the initial momentum of the system (ice skater + snowball) is 0, since the ice skater is at rest. When the snowball is thrown, it gains momentum in the x and y directions, given by 3.0i and 4.0j respectively. Using the conservation of momentum, we can set the initial momentum equal to the final momentum, which is the momentum of the skater after the snowball is thrown. Therefore, we can write:

m1v1 = m2v2

Where m1 is the mass of the snowball (12kg) and v1 is the initial velocity of the snowball (3.0i + 4.0j m/s). m2 is the mass of the skater (60kg) and v2 is the final velocity of the skater (unknown).

Solving for v2, we get:

v2 = (m1v1)/m2

Plugging in the values, we get:

v2 = (12kg)(3.0i + 4.0j m/s)/(60kg)

v2 = 0.2i + 0.267j m/s

Therefore, the final velocity of the skater is 0.2i + 0.267j m/s, or approximately 0.25 m/s at an angle of 53.1 degrees above the horizontal. This means that the skater will move forward and slightly upwards after throwing the snowball on the ice.

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and setting up the relevant equations. In this case, the variables are the mass of the ice skater (m1 = 60kg) and the mass of the snowball (m2 = 12kg), and the initial velocity of the snowball (v1 = 3.0i + 4.0j m/s). The equation that relates momentum (p) to mass and velocity is p = mv.

To find the subsequent velocity of the skater (v2), we can use the conservation of momentum principle, which states that the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. In this case, the event is the skater throwing the snowball.

Using the equation p = mv, we can set up the following equation:

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v2

Substituting in the values we know:

(60kg)(0 m/s) + (12kg)(3.0i + 4.0j m/s) = (60kg + 12kg)v2

Simplifying:

(12kg)(3.0i + 4.0j m/s) = (72kg)v2

Dividing both sides by 72kg:

v2 = (12kg)(3.0i + 4.0j m/s) / 72kg

Simplifying:

v2 = 0.5i + 0.67j m/s

Therefore, the subsequent velocity of the skater is 0.5 m/s in the x direction and 0.67 m/s in the y direction. This means the skater will move slightly to the right and slightly forward after throwing the snowball. This solution assumes that there are no external forces acting on the system.

In conclusion, the final velocity of the ice skater after throwing the snowball is 0.5 m/s in the x direction and 0.67 m/s in the y direction. This can also be written as a magnitude and direction, with a magnitude of 0.84 m/s and a direction of 53.1 degrees above the horizontal.

Related to How Does Throwing a Snowball Affect an Ice Skater's Movement?

1. What is the science behind throwing a snowball on ice?

When a snowball is thrown on ice, the friction between the snow and the ice causes the snowball to melt slightly, creating a thin layer of water between the two surfaces. This reduces the friction, allowing the snowball to slide more easily on the ice.

2. Why does the snowball sometimes bounce instead of sliding on the ice?

This is due to the elasticity of the snowball. When thrown with enough force, the snowball can compress and then expand, causing it to bounce off the ice instead of sliding.

3. Can the temperature affect how a snowball behaves when thrown on ice?

Yes, the temperature can play a role in how a snowball behaves on ice. When it is colder, there is less friction between the snow and ice, making it more difficult for the snowball to slide. However, if it is too warm, the snowball may melt too quickly and lose its shape, making it less likely to slide or bounce on the ice.

4. Is there a specific technique for throwing a snowball on ice?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can help increase the distance a snowball can travel on ice. One technique is to pack the snowball tightly and throw it at a flat angle to reduce air resistance. Another technique is to use a slightly wetter snowball, as the added moisture can reduce the friction between the snow and ice.

5. What happens when a snowball is thrown on ice at an angle?

When a snowball is thrown on ice at an angle, it will typically follow a curved trajectory due to the combination of the force from the throw and the friction between the snowball and the ice. The angle of the throw and the amount of friction will determine the direction and distance the snowball will travel on the ice.