How Does Time Between Depositions Affect Cohesion of Au Layers?

• Thread starter Si14
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of depositing layers of Au using e-beam evaporation in a vacuum. The speaker has two questions regarding the cohesion between the layers and whether cleaning is necessary before depositing the second layer. They mention that the second layer did not stick well due to a layer of hydrocarbons that formed after venting the chamber, which can only be removed through sputter cleaning in a vacuum. The idea that an inert material will remain clean is challenged.
Si14
I have deposited about 200nm of Au and I am going to deposit another 200nm layer of Au on top of this layer. All deposition are with e-beam evaporation and are done in vacuum. I have two questions:

1- Do you know how the cohesion between these two layers is?
2- I am going to deposit the second (top) layer of Au, two or three weeks after depositing the first layer. Should I do any cleaning before depositing the second layer? I, personally, think it is not necessary, since Au is an inert material and there shouldn't be any layer formed on top of that, right?

Thank you very much.
Regards.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have tried this and the second layer doesn't stick well enough to pass the tape test. As soon as you vent the chamber after the first deposition, a layer of hydrocarbons will adsorb upon it and will interfere (to some extent) with the bonding between the two layers. This layer can't be removed except by sputter cleaning in a vacuum.

It's still worth a shot to try, but the line of thinking that a material will remain perfectly clean as long as it's inert is off base.

Related to How Does Time Between Depositions Affect Cohesion of Au Layers?

What is cohesion between two Au layers?

Cohesion between two Au layers refers to the force that holds the two layers of gold together. It is a measure of the strength of the bond between the atoms in the two layers.

Why is cohesion between two Au layers important?

Cohesion between two Au layers is important in determining the structural stability and mechanical properties of materials. It can affect the durability and reliability of devices that use gold layers, such as electronic components.

How is cohesion between two Au layers measured?

Cohesion between two Au layers can be measured using techniques such as X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy or scanning electron microscopy. These methods can provide information about the bond strength and arrangement of atoms in the two layers.

What factors can affect cohesion between two Au layers?

The cohesion between two Au layers can be affected by factors such as the thickness of the layers, the temperature and pressure during the deposition process, and any impurities present in the layers.

Can cohesion between two Au layers be improved?

Yes, cohesion between two Au layers can be improved by optimizing the deposition process, using high purity materials, and controlling the thickness of the layers. Additionally, surface treatments or coatings can also enhance cohesion between the layers.