How Does Time Ordering Work in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: In quantum mechanics, time ordering is determined using the commutator and anticommutator of operators. The classical mechanics uses the Poisson bracket.In summary, this paper discusses the concept of time ordering in quantum mechanics and compares it to classical mechanics. It demonstrates the use of commutators and anticommutators in quantum mechanics, while classical mechanics uses the Poisson bracket.
limarodessa
It is shocking paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0402127

Quantum Entanglement in Time

Caslav Brukner, Samuel Taylor, Sancho Cheung, and Vlatko Vedral,

The temporal Bell inequalities are derived from the assumptions of realism and locality in time.
It is shown that quantum mechanics violates these inequalities and thus is in conflict with the two
assumptions. This can be used for performing certain tasks that are not possible classically. Our
results open up a possibility for introducing the notion of entanglement in time in quantum physics

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I'll bite: what is the shocking part? Brukner is a top researcher and he is a regular contributor to the literature. So this is mainstream work. (Of course, most of that is amazing to me in its own right.) But I am guessing you are fascinated by a particular point, and was hoping you might share for the sake of continued discussion. :smile:

DrChinese said:
OK, I'll bite: what is the shocking part? Brukner is a top researcher and he is a regular contributor to the literature. So this is mainstream work. (Of course, most of that is amazing to me in its own right.) But I am guessing you are fascinated by a particular point, and was hoping you might share for the sake of continued discussion. :smile:

Shocking - in good sense (meaning)

It is extremely interesting

Also interesting:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0312179

Quantum time ordering and degeneracy. I: Time ordering in quantum mechanics
Authors: J. H. McGuire, A. L. Godunov, Kh. Kh. Shakov, Kh. Yu. Rakhimov, A. Chalastaras
(Submitted on 21 Dec 2003)
Abstract: We examine how time ordering works in quantum mechanics and in classical mechanics.

FAQ: How Does Time Ordering Work in Quantum Mechanics?

1. What is quantum entanglement in time?

Quantum entanglement in time refers to the phenomenon where two particles that were once entangled with each other, continue to share a connection even when they are separated by time. This means that the state of one particle will affect the state of the other particle, regardless of how far apart they are in time.

2. How does quantum entanglement in time work?

When two particles are entangled, they share a quantum state, meaning that any changes in one particle will directly affect the other. This connection remains even when the particles are separated in time. The exact mechanism behind this phenomenon is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be due to the non-local nature of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of quantum entanglement in time?

Quantum entanglement in time has significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It also has potential applications in technologies such as quantum computing, communication, and cryptography.

4. Can quantum entanglement in time be observed in the real world?

Yes, quantum entanglement in time has been observed in several experiments. For example, in 2013, researchers were able to demonstrate that two entangled particles separated by a time interval of up to 0.1 seconds still shared a connection. However, due to the fragility of entangled states, it is challenging to observe this phenomenon in everyday objects.

5. What are the challenges in studying quantum entanglement in time?

One of the main challenges in studying quantum entanglement in time is creating and maintaining entangled states over long periods. The effects of noise and decoherence can quickly destroy these states, making it difficult to observe their effects. Additionally, there is still much to be understood about the nature of time and how it relates to entanglement in quantum systems.