How Does Touching a Violin String Affect Its Frequency?

In summary, the conversation discussed how a violin player can produce the lowest frequency on a string that is under tension and has a node at a certain point. The solution involved using the equation f1= 1/2L sqrt[F/mew] and considering the new length of the string after the node has been created. The lowest note would be the fundamental harmonic of the longer portion of the string.
clipperdude21
[SOLVED] Violin String and Waves

1. A violin string of length 0.33m and mass 50g is under a tension of 40N. A violin player touches the string a distance L/3 from one end, which produces a node at that point. What is the lowest frequency that can now be produced on the string?
2. I have several equations but they involve the funamental frequency
3. I tried solving this problem using the equation f1= 1/2L sqrt[F/mew] where mew is the mass per unit length. For the L i used 0.33- 0.33/3 to get 0.22m. This is the part I am not sure about. Is this the new length or is something else up. Thanks!b]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are effectively two strings now, with the same T/mew ratio. The lowest note would be the fundamental harmonic of the longer portion.

great, so i did it right. Thanks!

Related to How Does Touching a Violin String Affect Its Frequency?

1. How do violin strings produce sound?

When a violinist plays a string, they create vibrations by plucking or bowing the string. These vibrations then travel through the string and create sound waves that travel through the air to our ears. The pitch and tone of the sound are determined by the length, thickness, and tension of the string.

2. What are the different types of violin strings?

There are four main types of violin strings: gut, synthetic, steel, and composite. Gut strings are made from animal intestines and produce a warm, rich sound. Synthetic strings are made from materials like nylon and produce a brighter sound. Steel strings are the most common and produce a clear, bright sound. Composite strings are a combination of materials and are often used for more advanced players.

3. How often should I change my violin strings?

It is recommended to change your violin strings every 6-12 months, depending on how frequently you play and the type of strings you use. Gut strings may need to be changed more often as they are more sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity. It is also important to regularly check for any signs of wear and tear on your strings, such as fraying or discoloration, and replace them if necessary.

4. Can I use different types of strings on my violin?

While it is possible to mix and match different types of strings on your violin, it is generally not recommended. Each type of string is designed to work together as a set and using different types can affect the overall sound and playability of the instrument. It is best to stick with one type of string set that works well for you and your violin.

5. How do I know if my strings are too tight?

If your strings are too tight, you may notice that your violin is difficult to tune or that the strings feel stiff when playing. This can also cause the bridge to lean too far forward, making it difficult to play certain notes. To avoid this, it is important to tune your strings to the correct tension and not over-tighten them. If you are unsure, it is best to consult with a professional violinist or luthier for guidance.