How does V go up and I go down?

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
In summary: So in summary, if you short circuit a transformer with an input of 50kV, you will only be able to get about 500mA out of it instead of 50kA.
iScience
I understand that power is IV, and that power should be conserved during EM- induction for example in a transformer.

$$I_pV_p=I_sV_s$$

But potential is (correct me if I'm wrong) like the driving force in a circuit. and the stuff that it drives is the charges. So say i have a step up transformer, and the voltage on the secondary is huge. Well this means the E-field will be strong. So then, what is preventing the charges from flowing freely? or, in other words, if Vs is 50kV, and i short the secondary circuit, what prevents the current from being 50kA, and instead be [I(p)V(p)/V(s)]amps?

i'm just looking for a qualitative understanding for my intuition

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can think of three reasons why or why not - how much power can the source output, what size is the transformer, and what gauge wiring is used in the transformer windings. Do you know how each has an affect upon the output?

what gauge wiring is used in the transformer windings

$$R
\alpha
A^{-1}$$

what size is the transformer

not sure what you mean by size

how much power can the source output

This seems to be the issue. Say the power input is Pi, and the output Voltage at the secondary is Vout, what is the power constraint physically doing to the current in the secondary to make it have an inverse relation to the generate voltage in the secondary?

The iron or other material chosen for the core cannot transfer unlimited power in the magnetic field. Its characteristic is not linear beyond a certain point, you are aware that the B-H loop flattens out more and more as current increases.

in other words, if Vs is 50kV, and i short the secondary circuit, what prevents the current from being 50kA, and instead be [I(p)V(p)/V(s)]amps?

Are we speaking here of an ideal transformer?
If so then the answer to your question is:

"Nothing but the edit: [STRIKE]ability[/STRIKE] inability of your power source to deliver into the primary a current of 50kA X transformer turns ratio. "

A real source has resistance and so does a real transformer. Those will limit the current.
There can be no power dissipated in a short circuit because voltage is zero. So the power is all dissipated in the wires that comprise your source and transformer.
That's why a shorted transformer gets hot.

Last edited:
iScience said:
I understand that power is IV, and that power should be conserved during EM- induction for example in a transformer.

$$I_pV_p=I_sV_s$$

But potential is (correct me if I'm wrong) like the driving force in a circuit. and the stuff that it drives is the charges. So say i have a step up transformer, and the voltage on the secondary is huge. Well this means the E-field will be strong. So then, what is preventing the charges from flowing freely? or, in other words, if Vs is 50kV, and i short the secondary circuit, what prevents the current from being 50kA, and instead be [I(p)V(p)/V(s)]amps?

i'm just looking for a qualitative understanding for my intuition

It's because you would need (and be using) a much higher resistance load for the same Power at a higher voltage. If you put the same resistance load then yes - you would get loads of current. The supply 'sees' the resistance of your actual load transformed down to a lower one. The VA in both cases will be the same in an ideal transformer. I used the term VA (Current times volts) because in a real transformer with a real load, VA will be greater than the actual Power that's transferred - not to worry about that, first time through.

Related to How does V go up and I go down?

1. How does V go up and I go down?

The relationship between velocity (V) and displacement (I) is described by the equation V=I/t, where t represents time. This means that as time increases, displacement decreases and velocity increases. In other words, when an object moves in a straight line, it covers a larger distance in a shorter amount of time, resulting in a higher velocity and lower displacement.

2. Why does V go up and I go down?

This phenomenon is explained by the concept of acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity over time. When an object accelerates, it is either speeding up or slowing down. In the case of V and I, as the object accelerates, the velocity (V) increases and displacement (I) decreases.

3. Is it possible for V and I to both go up?

Yes, it is possible for both V and I to increase at the same time. This occurs when the object is accelerating in a curved path or changing direction. In this case, the displacement (I) may increase while the velocity (V) also increases, but in a different direction.

4. How does time affect the relationship between V and I?

Time is a crucial factor in determining the relationship between V and I. The longer an object moves, the greater the displacement (I) and the higher the velocity (V) will be. This is because time allows for more distance to be covered and for velocity to increase.

5. What other factors can impact the relationship between V and I?

The relationship between V and I can also be influenced by external forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravity. These forces can impact the acceleration of an object, thus affecting its velocity and displacement. Additionally, the shape and mass of the object can also play a role in the relationship between V and I.