How Does Water Affect Solar Radiance Observed Underwater?

In summary, the conversation discusses an underwater observer looking into the sun without sunglasses. The question asks for the ratio of solar radiance at the observer's eye to the solar radiance just above the water surface. Various equations for vertical and horizontal polarization, as well as a solid angle formula for radiance at the air water boundary, are mentioned, but it is unclear which one would be appropriate to solve the problem. The person is seeking help to determine the relevant equation.
cpmiller

Homework Statement

An underwater observer is looking directly into the sun. His head is near, but below the surface, and he is not wearingsun glasses. Let Ls(x) be the solar radiance at the water surface, on the air side, when the sun is at a zenith angle x. What is the ratio of the solar radiance at the observer's eye to the solar radiance just above the water surface?

Homework Equations

Here's where I'm having trouble. I'm not sure which equation is relevant. Is this simply a Fresnel transmission problem? I have equations for vertical and horizontal polarization

Rh = [sin2(xa - xw)]/[sin2(xa + xw)]

But I also have a solid angle formula for radiance at the air water boundary. It is labeled "From Snell's law and flux conservation" [tex]\Omega[/tex]a = n2 [cos xw/ cos x a ] [tex]\Omega[/tex] w

Where the [tex]\Omega[/tex]s are solid angle. The subscript a one is subtended by Ls in the accompanying diagram. And the subscript w by Ld (downwelling) so I'm not sure if this ratio would be what I need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionI'm not sure what equation would be appropriate to solve this problem. I have equations for vertical and horizontal polarization, as well as a solid angle formula for radiance at the air water boundary. However, I'm not sure which equation would be relevant. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Related to How Does Water Affect Solar Radiance Observed Underwater?

1. What is solar radiance?

Solar radiance refers to the amount of energy emitted by the sun in the form of electromagnetic radiation. This radiation includes visible light, infrared radiation, and ultraviolet radiation.

2. How is solar radiance measured?

Solar radiance is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²). This measurement is usually taken by specialized instruments such as pyranometers or pyrheliometers.

3. What is solar reflection?

Solar reflection is the process by which some of the solar radiance that hits a surface is bounced off and redirected in a different direction. This can occur with different surfaces, such as water, land, or man-made objects.

4. Why is solar reflection important?

Solar reflection plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate and energy balance. It affects the amount of solar radiation that is absorbed by the Earth's surface and atmosphere, which ultimately impacts global temperatures and weather patterns.

5. How does solar reflection impact solar energy production?

When it comes to solar energy production, solar reflection can be both beneficial and detrimental. On one hand, surfaces that reflect a lot of solar radiation, such as snow or white roofs, can help cool down the surrounding area. On the other hand, solar panels rely on absorbing solar radiation, so too much reflection can reduce their efficiency. This is why solar panel placement and angle are carefully considered to optimize energy production.