How Effective Is a 10-Hour Study Schedule with Regular Breaks for Concentration?

In summary, this person is trying to find a way to study that is both effective and sustainable, without sacrificing other areas of their life. They suggest incorporating some form of exercise into their study schedule, eating foods that give them energy, and getting enough sleep.
vanessa99
Hello everyone! So I made a study program and it's 10 hours studying per day. I will have it everyday till May. After 30 min of studying I take a 5 min break and after 2 hours, 15 min break. Is that sound bad?
Plus, till now due to different factors I have studied around 4 hours per day. How can I keep my concentration all the time and not think other stuff?

Physics news on Phys.org
vanessa99 said:
Hello everyone! So I made a study program and it's 10 hours studying per day. I will have it everyday till May. After 30 min of studying I take a 5 min break and after 2 hours, 15 min break. Is that sound bad?

I'd say it sounds neither good nor bad, but is simply "ideal", and you shouldn't worry if you can't stick to that exact schedule all the time. Just try to be as consistent as possible and modify your schedule if it turns out it doesn't fit you well.

vanessa99 said:
Plus, till now due to different factors I have studied around 4 hours per day. How can I keep my concentration all the time and not think other stuff?

There is no simple answer to this, as everyone is different. Getting enough rest, exercise, and just taking care of yourself in general are perhaps the only things that apply to everyone (I should know. I don't do these things and it's killing me). I'm sure others have more specific suggestions.

I'd say that if I do some sports (you could do body weight excersies, takes like 15min/day - just check out e.g. https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine ) I get my stuff done way better.

Also I personally would say that eating e.g. nuts and raisins gives your brain energy - at least I don't feel that ****ed up after several hours of learning if I eat it. But everyone's different here.

Also I need enough sleep, without sleep my motivation does not exist at all and I just can't learn anything. Keep yourself motivated by thinking about what you could become or what nice stuff you going to study next year if you pass or whatever.

I'm also doing an MBRS [Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction ] Course at the moment as kind of "compensation" to all the other stuff I do - is probably quit good for concentration too. I'll see, didn't start yet.

But in the end, the most important thing is, that you are studying something you have passion about. Dedication.

Related to How Effective Is a 10-Hour Study Schedule with Regular Breaks for Concentration?

1. What is a study program?

A study program is a structured educational plan that outlines the courses and requirements for a specific field of study. It typically includes a combination of required and elective courses, as well as practical experiences such as internships or research projects.

2. What is a concentration?

A concentration is a specialized area of study within a broader field. It allows students to focus on a particular subject or topic of interest and gain in-depth knowledge and skills in that area.

3. How do I choose a study program and concentration?

When choosing a study program and concentration, it is important to consider your interests, career goals, and strengths. Research different programs and concentrations, talk to academic advisors and current students, and consider taking introductory courses in different areas to get a feel for what you enjoy.

4. What are the benefits of having a concentration?

Having a concentration can provide a deeper understanding and expertise in a specific area, making you a more competitive candidate for jobs or graduate school. It can also help you stand out in a crowded job market and may lead to more job opportunities in your chosen field.

5. Can I change my concentration or study program?

Yes, it is possible to change your concentration or study program. However, it may require additional time and coursework. It is important to discuss any potential changes with your academic advisor to ensure that it aligns with your academic and career goals.