How empty are the voids in the universe?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the current measured density contrast inside cosmological voids of radius about 30 Mpc. The initial paper by L. da Costa in 1996 constructed a density map based on measured peculiar velocities of galaxies, showing a density contrast of -0.80. The individual is looking for more recent papers on the matter, and two articles are suggested, one discussing N-body simulations of dark matter and the other discussing underdensity of galaxies in voids. However, the individual is interested in total underdensity including visible and dark matter, and suggests contacting L. da Costa for more information.
smallphi
What is the current measured density contrast inside the cosmological voids of radius about 30 Mpc? By measured I mean somebody constructed a density map based on peculiar velocities map or weak lensing.

I've read a Paper by L. da Costa - Astrophysical Journal 468, L5, 1996 - that constructed a density map of our neighbourhood (radius about 100 Mpc) based on measured peculiar velocities of galaxies. According to the density contours the matter (visible and dark) density inside the voids around us drops to about 20% of the average i.e. density contrast = -0.80.

Has anyone seen more recent paper that measure the matter density in the voids?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thanks for the articles. What I had in mind though was something like an update of the article I cited since its more than 10 years old.

The first article you posted talks about N-body simmulations of dark matter - I need actual measurements not simmulations of something that hasn't been detected directly yet.

The second article talks about voids in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey but there they talk about the underdensity of galaxies in voids, i.e. underdensity of visible matter while I'm interested in the total underdensity including visible and dark matter.

Related to How empty are the voids in the universe?

1. How do scientists measure the emptiness of voids in the universe?

Scientists measure the emptiness of voids in the universe by using a tool called the void density profile. This tool measures the density of matter in a given region of the universe, and by comparing it to the average density of the universe, scientists can determine how empty or dense a void is.

2. What causes voids to form in the universe?

Voids in the universe are formed due to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, regions of space that have a slightly lower density of matter can expand faster, creating voids in between clusters of galaxies.

3. How big are the voids in the universe?

The size of voids in the universe can vary greatly, but they can range from a few million light years to hundreds of millions of light years in diameter. This can make them significantly larger than individual galaxies or even galaxy clusters.

4. Are voids completely empty?

No, voids in the universe are not completely empty. While they have a lower density of matter compared to other regions of the universe, they still contain some matter and can also have gas and dust particles. However, they are considered to be emptier than other regions of the universe.

5. How do voids impact the structure of the universe?

Voids play a crucial role in the large-scale structure of the universe. They act as barriers between galaxy clusters and can influence the movement and distribution of matter in the universe. They also provide important clues about the overall expansion and evolution of the universe.