How exactly does a mood ring work?

In summary, the liquid crystal structure in mood rings expands and contracts with temperature, causing certain wavelengths of light to be reflected while others are absorbed or transmitted. The periodicity of the crystal structure changes with temperature, resulting in a change in the reflected color. For a deeper understanding of absorption, it is suggested to read about it in the Absorption (electromagnetic radiation) article on Wikipedia.
Edi
Ok, I understand that the liquid crystal structure expands and contracts in response to thermal fluctuations and that the structure is made of layers... and only the wavelengths that mach exactly or are half (or quarter and so on) can have constructive interference, thus, only those wavelengths are supposed to be reflected from the ring/ crystal structure... BUT - what happens to all the other wavelengths, that do not mach those certain lengths at specific temperature? .. yes, they do not act in constructive interference, but .. where do they go/ why are they absorbed?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are absorbed or transmitted.

Well. that explains pretty much nothing.
.. where can I gen a deeper insight on this? .. knowing exactly how..

I dug out my original '70's mood ring from a box in my desk, where it sat under my Elvis concert ticket stub - either my mood has grown very dark with age, or the ring no longer works. :smile: But it was instructive, with no heat and/or non-functioning liquid crystal material (not sure why it no longer functions), the ring is dark, meaning all the incident light is absorbed - probably by a backing material that is black, which means that the incident light is transmitted through the faux-stone and through the crystal layer. If the liquid forms a periodic array as it should, then some light wavelengths will reflect while the rest transmit to the black layer and are absorbed. The periodicity changes with temperature, so the apparent reflected color changes with temperature.

Edi said:
Well. that explains pretty much nothing.
.. where can I gen a deeper insight on this? .. knowing exactly how..

What part of absorption don't you understand? We can help you better if you be more specific. If you just want a general introduction to absorption, it would be more productive to read the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_%28electromagnetic_radiation%29" article than for me to retype it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mood Rings contain thermochromic elements. Mood ring color changes in response to the body temperature.

FAQ: How exactly does a mood ring work?

1. How does a mood ring change color?

A mood ring changes color based on the temperature of the wearer's skin. The ring contains a liquid crystal that is sensitive to temperature changes. When the temperature of the skin changes, the liquid crystal changes color. This color is then reflected on the ring, creating the appearance of a color change.

2. How accurate are mood rings in determining mood?

Mood rings are not accurate in determining mood. The temperature of the skin can be affected by many factors, such as the weather, physical activity, and emotions. This means that the color change of a mood ring does not necessarily reflect the wearer's true mood.

3. Can mood rings be used to diagnose medical conditions?

No, mood rings are not a reliable tool for diagnosing medical conditions. The color changes of a mood ring are based on skin temperature, not any specific medical conditions. It is always best to consult a medical professional for any health concerns.

4. Do all mood rings change color in the same way?

No, not all mood rings change color in the same way. Different manufacturers may use different liquid crystals or temperature ranges, resulting in different color changes. Additionally, the accuracy of the color changes may vary between mood rings.

5. Do mood rings have any scientific basis?

There is no scientific evidence to support the use of mood rings in determining mood. While the concept of using temperature changes to reflect emotions has some basis in psychology, the accuracy and reliability of mood rings have not been scientifically proven.