How Far Apart Are the Two Slits in a Double-Slit Experiment?

• Thread starter Violagirl
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the distance between two narrow slits that are illuminated with light of wavelength 500 nm. The adjacent maxima near the center of the interference pattern are separated by 1.5 degrees, and using the equation d sin θ = mλ, we can find the value of d by rearranging the equation to d = mλ/sin θ. Plugging in the values of m = 1 and λ = 500 nm, we get a distance of 1.92 x 10-5 m for the separation between the two slits.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

Two narrow slits are illuminated with light of wavelength 500 nm. Adjacent maxima near the center of the interference pattern are separated by 1.5 degrees. How far apart are the slits?

Homework Equations

d sin θ = mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

So we're given that:

λ = 500 nm

m = 1.5 degrees

We need to find d, the distance between the two slits.

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what to do with the value of m they give me for degrees for how far the maxima are apart. I wasn't whether I needed to take the sin of 1.5 degrees and multiply it into my wavelength value or not but upon doing this, I got a value of d = 13.1 meters. My book says the answer should be much smaller than this, about around 1.98 x 10-5 m. I'm lost how on you would go about correctly finding this unless I'm missing another equation that I would need? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Violagirl said:

Homework Statement

Two narrow slits are illuminated with light of wavelength 500 nm. Adjacent maxima near the center of the interference pattern are separated by 1.5 degrees. How far apart are the slits?

Homework Equations

d sin θ = mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

So we're given that:

λ = 500 nm

m = 1.5 degrees

We need to find d, the distance between the two slits.

I'm having a difficult time trying to figure out what to do with the value of m they give me for degrees for how far the maxima are apart. I wasn't whether I needed to take the sin of 1.5 degrees and multiply it into my wavelength value or not but upon doing this, I got a value of d = 13.1 meters. My book says the answer should be much smaller than this, about around 1.98 x 10-5 m. I'm lost how on you would go about correctly finding this unless I'm missing another equation that I would need? Any help is greatly appreciated.

m is not angle but the order of interference, m=1. How could you get 13.1 meters? What was the wavelength you calculated with?

I see now, so if m is 1 and if I need to go from nm to m, then:

d sin θ = mλ

If my m = 1, then I see then I would need to get d by itself:

d = mλ/sin θ

d = (1) (500 nm)/sin (1.5 degrees) = 19230.76 nm x 1/109 nm = 1.92 x 10-5 m.

Violagirl said:
I see now, so if m is 1 and if I need to go from nm to m, then:

d sin θ = mλ

If my m = 1, then I see then I would need to get d by itself:

d = mλ/sin θ

d = (1) (500 nm)/sin (1.5 degrees) = 19230.76 nm x 1/109 nm = 1.92 x 10-5 m.

It is correct now :smile:

ehild

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. First, let's clarify the given information. We are given the wavelength (λ = 500 nm), the angle between adjacent maxima (1.5 degrees), and we want to find the distance between the two slits (d).

The equation you have provided, d sin θ = mλ, is known as the double-slit interference equation. In this equation, d represents the distance between the two slits, θ represents the angle between the incident light and the line connecting the two slits, m represents the order of the interference maxima, and λ represents the wavelength of the light.

In this problem, we are given the values of λ and θ, and we want to find the value of d. However, we do not know the value of m, the order of the interference maxima. This is where we need to use some trigonometry.

The angle between adjacent maxima (1.5 degrees) is the same as the angle between the line connecting the two slits and the line connecting the first maximum to the second maximum. This angle is also known as the angle of diffraction (θ).

Using trigonometry, we can find the value of m. We know that the angle between the two slits is half of the angle of diffraction (θ/2). Therefore, we can use the following equation:

sin(θ/2) = (mλ)/d

Rearranging the equation, we get:

d = (mλ)/sin(θ/2)

Now, we can substitute the values given in the problem to find the distance between the two slits:

d = [(1)(500 nm)]/sin(1.5 degrees/2)

d = 500 nm/sin(0.75 degrees)

d = 500 nm/0.0131

d = 3.82 x 10^-5 m

As you can see, this is close to the answer given in your book (1.98 x 10^-5 m). The difference may be due to rounding off of values or using slightly different values for the wavelength or angle.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Remember to always check your units and use the correct equations in your calculations. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: How Far Apart Are the Two Slits in a Double-Slit Experiment?

What is the distance between two slits?

The distance between two slits is the physical separation between the centers of the two slits. This distance is typically measured in units of length, such as meters or centimeters.

How does the distance between two slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between two slits plays a crucial role in determining the interference pattern that is observed. As the distance increases, the pattern shifts and becomes more spread out. This can result in a decrease in the visibility of the fringes.

What is the relationship between the distance between two slits and the wavelength of light?

The distance between two slits and the wavelength of light are inversely proportional. This means that as the distance between the slits increases, the distance between bright fringes decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the grating equation.

Can the distance between two slits be changed?

Yes, the distance between two slits can be changed by physically moving the slits closer or further apart. This can be done by adjusting the position of the slits on a grating or by using a different grating with a different distance between the slits.

What is the significance of the distance between two slits in Young's double-slit experiment?

The distance between two slits is a crucial factor in Young's double-slit experiment. It determines the interference pattern that is observed and can be used to calculate the wavelength of light. It also provides evidence for the wave-like nature of light and helps to support the theory of quantum mechanics.