How Far Apart Are Two -5.00 C Charges with a 4000 N Repulsive Force?

In summary, the distance between two charges of -5.00 C each, with a force of electrostatic repulsion of 4.00 x 10^3 N, is approximately 7.50 x 10^3 m when using the equation Fe = kq1q2/r^2 and solving for r. However, it may be helpful to check the units of charge and consider the practicality of the result.
Kennedy111

Homework Statement

What is the distance between two charges of -5.00 C each if the force of electrostatic repulsion acting on them is 4.00 x 10^3 N?

q1 = -5.00 C
q2 = -5.00 C
Fe = 4.00 x 10^3
k = 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2

Homework Equations

Fe = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the equation above and got:

r = (sqrt) kq1q2/Fe

r = (sqrt) (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(5.00 C)(5.00 C) / (4.00 x 10^3 N)
= 7495.832175 m

To three significant digits my answer would be 7.50 x 10^ 3 m

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Kennedy111,

Kennedy111 said:

Homework Statement

What is the distance between two charges of -5.00 C each if the force of electrostatic repulsion acting on them is 4.00 x 10^3 N?

q1 = -5.00 C
q2 = -5.00 C
Fe = 4.00 x 10^3
k = 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2

Homework Equations

Fe = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I rearranged the equation above and got:

r = (sqrt) kq1q2/Fe

r = (sqrt) (8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(5.00 C)(5.00 C) / (4.00 x 10^3 N)
= 7495.832175 m

To three significant digits my answer would be 7.50 x 10^ 3 m
Your math and approach look fine to me. :approve:

But just for the sake of practicality, you might wish to double check that you're using the correct units from the beginning. Five Coulombs (whether negative or positive) is a lot of charge. Most charges in electrostatics problems I'm used to use units of μC.

I'm just sayin', in the system you're modeling, as you've expressed it, there is still a four kilo-Newton force between the charges, even after separating them by seven and a half kilometers (several miles). That's a lot of charge!

FAQ: How Far Apart Are Two -5.00 C Charges with a 4000 N Repulsive Force?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law applied?

Coulomb's Law is applied by using the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between the two charged particles, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. This equation can be used to calculate the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects.

3. What is the unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law is Coulomb (C). This unit is named after the French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who first discovered the law in the 18th century.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used for both positive and negative charges. The force between two like charges (both positive or both negative) is repulsive, while the force between two opposite charges (one positive and one negative) is attractive.

5. What are the limitations of Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a simplified model that assumes that charged particles are point-like and stationary. It also only applies to electrostatic interactions and does not take into account any other forces that may be acting on the particles. Additionally, at very small distances or high speeds, the law may not accurately predict the force between particles.

Back