How far away from its location when the string breaks

• Thread starter riggi91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 4-kg rock tied to a string and twirled overhead in a horizontal circle. The string is known to break at a tension of 514 N, and the question is how far away from its location when the string breaks will the rock hit the ground. The equations used to solve the problem include F=mv^2/r, y=-.5gt^2, and x=vxo(t). The individual has attempted to solve the problem multiple times but has been getting varying answers between 6.9m and 7.1m. The expert suggests going into more detail about the reasoning and points out that the tension in the string may not be the only force on the
riggi91

Homework Statement

A 4-kg rock is tied to the end of a string and twirled overhead, 1.6 m above the ground, in a 1.1-m radius, horizontal circle. The string is known to break if its tension reaches a value of 514 N. The rock it rotated faster and faster until the string breaks. How far away from its location when the string breaks will the rock hit the ground? Your answer should be given in meters, to the nearest centimeter.

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r
y=-.5gt^2
x=vxo(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was I found V first by doing sqrt(f*r/m)
Then I found t by doing sqrt(2y/g)
then I multiplied vt.

I've tried this three times and I keep getting this answer wrong. On my last attempts I've been getting between 6.9m and 7.1m based on the configuration of the numbers as they change slightly each time I attempt the problem.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should go into more detail about your reasoning.
However, the thing that jumps out at me is that you appear to have assumed that the tension in the string is the only force on the rock while it is being twirled around the circle.
i.e. in
What I did was I found V first by doing sqrt(f*r/m)
How did you find "f"?

Last edited:
One seems to have the appropriate equations, but the circular trajectory of the rock is horizontal, not necessarily the string.

What are the time to fall and the linear speed at which the string breaks?

Related to How far away from its location when the string breaks

1. How is the distance measured when the string breaks?

The distance is typically measured from the original location of the string to the location where it breaks. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. What factors can affect the distance the object travels when the string breaks?

The factors that can affect the distance include the length and thickness of the string, the weight and shape of the object, and the force used to pull the string.

3. Is there a mathematical formula to calculate the distance the object travels when the string breaks?

Yes, there is a formula that can be used to calculate the distance. It takes into account the force applied, the mass of the object, and the properties of the string. It is known as the "equation of motion" in physics.

4. Can the distance the object travels vary each time the string breaks?

Yes, the distance can vary depending on the variables mentioned before and any other external factors that may come into play, such as wind or surface friction.

5. How can this information be applied in real-life situations?

This information can be useful in various situations such as designing and testing equipment, understanding the mechanics of sports and games, and predicting the flight of objects in different scenarios.