How far can the ant walk before slipping off the record?

• Thread starter cdornz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slipping
In summary: I'm not sure what you are asking.Can you please clarify?Assuming the ant is on a rotating surface with friction, what is the source of the outward force that keeps it from slipping?The outward force is the friction.
cdornz

Homework Statement

A 1-mg ant is located near the center of a horizontal record (radius = 7 inches) which is rotating at 78rpm. The coefficient of friction between the ant and the record is 0.7. How far out towards the edge of the record can the ant walk before it will slip?

Homework Equations

circumference = d[itex]\Pi[/itex]
ΔV = circumference * rpm
Fcentripetal = m(v2/r)
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I got all of my numbers into lowest form/metric units.
So the radius is 0.1778 meters; rpm is now 78/60 or 1.3 rev/sec
Circumference = 0.3556[itex]\Pi[/itex]; circumference = 1.11 meters
Velocity = 1.11/1.3; velocity = 1.45 m/s

I then listed the forces involved: Fcentripetal; Fn; Fgravity; Ffriction

I setup my free body diagram like this picture attached

I can then do the forces in the x direction (cosine) and the forces in the y direction (sin).
My question for now, is if I get a number for x and y, how will that tell me how long until the ant slips? We've never covered a question like this in my physics class before.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I can't decipher your diagram.

What is the condition that the ant NOT slip, i.e., keep going in circles?

Wouldn't the centripetal force be keeping the ant going in circles? Since that force would be radially inward?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 393
sorry it keeps rotating.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 411
Yes, but WHAT creates the inward force keeping the ant in circular motion?

Would it be that the ant is constantly being accelerated toward the center of the record?

The ant is being accelerated BY the inward force. But HOW does the force originate?

Imagine the ant is not on a record, but is tied to an end of a horizontal rod rotating about the other end. WHAT keeps the ant rotating with the rod?

I would think an unbalanced force consisting of it's weight, normal force, and friction. I went back to look at my notes on this section and all I have states an equation:

M*(N2∏)2)R/T2

For an ant tied to a rotating rod, the source of the inward pull is the tension in rod/rope. But for an ant on a rotating surface with friction, what would that be?

Related to How far can the ant walk before slipping off the record?

1. How do ants walk on records without slipping off?

Ants have tiny claws on their feet that help them grip onto surfaces, including records. They also secrete a sticky substance from their feet called "sticky pads" that allows them to walk upside down and on smooth surfaces.

2. What is the record for the farthest distance an ant has walked on a record without slipping off?

There is no official record for the farthest distance an ant has walked on a record without slipping off. However, some experiments have shown that ants can walk up to 10 inches on a vinyl record without slipping.

3. How do the size and weight of the ant affect its ability to walk on a record without slipping?

The size and weight of the ant can affect its ability to walk on a record without slipping. Smaller and lighter ants may have an easier time gripping onto the record compared to larger and heavier ants.

4. Can any type of ant walk on a record without slipping off?

Most ants have the ability to walk on records without slipping off, as long as their feet are clean and they have the necessary claws and sticky pads. However, some larger species of ants may have a harder time due to their weight.

5. How does the surface of the record affect an ant's ability to walk without slipping off?

The surface of the record can affect an ant's ability to walk without slipping off. Smooth and clean surfaces are easier for ants to walk on compared to rough or dirty surfaces. Additionally, vinyl records may be easier for ants to grip onto compared to other types of records, such as CDs or DVDs.

Back