How far can transmissions go in space?

• Thread starter cellurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, NASA's New Horizons probe uses a 10-watt antenna to transmit signals from Pluto, but due to advances in technology and the use of large listening devices, the signal can still be received despite the distance. The signal does experience some loss, but it is minimal and continues to improve with advancements in technology.
cellurl
NASA's New Horizons probe can send us communications from Pluto.

Q: How far can that transmitter communicate? Twice, 3 times, not much further?

To me, electromagnetic signals must disperse, but this one seems to have no loss...

I am fascinated by the technology, be it directional antennas?, QAM? Any leads appreciated!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
cellurl said:

To me, electromagnetic signals must disperse, but this one seems to have no loss...

I am fascinated by the technology, be it directional antennas?, QAM? Any leads appreciated!
The antenna on New Horizons transmits at about 10 watts. A typical radio station transmits at 50,000 watts. The only reason that we can pick up the signal from that distance, is we have really big ears listening. And it isn't even science fiction. :wink:

SRI_Dish_radio_antenna.jpg

Likes berkeman
At some point the signal gets lost in background noise, but technology has made great strides recently and that limit continues to be improved.

Likes berkeman
cellurl said:

Further to what people have said, when the distance is doubled the received power will be a quarter. That sounds a lot, but it means that when the probe is twice as far as Pluto (another nine years?) the signal will have dropped by just 6 decibels.

Related to How far can transmissions go in space?

1. How far can transmissions go in space?

The distance that transmissions can travel in space depends on a variety of factors, such as the strength and frequency of the transmission, the type of transmission (radio, light, etc.), and any obstacles or interference it may encounter. However, in theory, transmissions can travel infinitely far in space.

2. What is the speed of transmissions in space?

The speed of transmissions in space is the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. This speed is constant and does not change regardless of the distance the transmission travels.

3. Can transmissions travel through different mediums in space?

Yes, transmissions can travel through different mediums in space, such as vacuum, gas, or plasma. However, the speed and strength of the transmission may be affected by the properties of these mediums.

4. How do transmissions travel in space?

Transmissions travel in space through electromagnetic waves, which are a type of energy that does not require a medium to propagate. These waves can travel through the vacuum of space and are used to transmit information through radio signals, light signals, and other types of transmissions.

5. Can transmissions be received from other galaxies?

Yes, transmissions can be received from other galaxies. However, due to the vast distances between galaxies, the strength and quality of the transmission may be greatly reduced by the time it reaches us. This is why we use powerful telescopes and other technologies to amplify and interpret these transmissions.