How Far Did the Football Travel in Total Displacement?

• Thread starter soul814
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the football's resultant displacement can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, with the legs being 50 yards and 15 yards, resulting in a magnitude of approximately 52 yards. However, after reviewing the diagram, it should actually be 40 yards, resulting in a magnitude of approximately 43 yards.
soul814
another vector problem (check if I'm correct)

A quarterback takes the ball from the line of scrimmage, runs backward for 10.0 yards, then runs sideways parallel to the line of scrimmage for 15.0 yards. At this point, he throws a 50 yard forward pass straight downfield, perpendicular to the line of scrimmage. What is the magnitude of the football’s resultant displacement?

Is it about 52? Since I used [tex]a^2 + b^2 = c^2[/tex]

[tex]50^2 + 15^2 = c^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
the figure i get in my head is something like
A |...
...|...|C
B |___|D

AB = 50
CD = 10
BD = 15
u are supposed to find AC

-- AI

ahh after looking at your diagram it should be

[tex]40^2 + 15^2 = c^2[/tex]

about 43 then

yeap!

-- AI

FAQ: How Far Did the Football Travel in Total Displacement?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is commonly represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow representing the direction.

2. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves the manipulation and analysis of vectors. This can include finding the magnitude and direction of a vector, performing vector operations such as addition and subtraction, or solving for unknown vectors in a system of equations.

3. What are some real-world applications of vector problems?

Vector problems have various real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, they can be used to calculate the forces acting on an object, determine the direction and speed of a moving object, or map out the trajectory of a projectile.

4. How do you solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you first need to identify what information is given and what needs to be found. Then, you can use vector operations and trigonometric functions to manipulate the given vectors and solve for the unknowns. It is important to carefully consider the direction and sign conventions when performing vector calculations.

5. What are some techniques for visualizing and understanding vector problems?

One helpful technique for visualizing vector problems is to draw the given vectors and their operations on a coordinate system. This can help you understand the relationships between the vectors and determine the correct direction and magnitude for the resulting vector. Additionally, vector diagrams and graphs can also aid in understanding and solving vector problems.

Back