How Far Does a Goalie Slide After Catching a Puck?

• Thread starter Loading
  • Start date
In summary, a hockey player sends a puck at 80 m/s with a mass of .4kg. A stationary goalie catches the puck with a mass of 90kg. The coefficient of friction between the goalie and the ice is .05. The goalie slides on the ice with a normal force of 885.92N and a frictional force of 44.296N. Using the conservation of momentum, the final velocity of the collision is 0.35m/s. To find the distance the goalie slides before coming to a stop, we use kinematics and solve for the acceleration using the frictional force and mass. The acceleration is not equal to 9.8m/s^2, but rather the acceleration due to
A hockey player sends a .4kg puck at 80 m/s. A stationary golie cathces the puck. If the coefficient of friction of the golie on the ice is .05 and his mass is 90 kg how far does he slide on the ice before he comes to a stop.

I have found
normal force = mg
= 885.92N
and then friction = .05(885.92N)
= 44.296N
and using conservation of momentum i found the velocity after the collision will be 0.35m/s
but now I am stuck
please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF Loading!

It's good that you've shown an attempt, but in the future please use the template provided.

Loading said:
A hockey player sends a .4kg puck at 80 m/s. A stationary golie cathces the puck. If the coefficient of friction of the golie on the ice is .05 and his mass is 90 kg how far does he slide on the ice before he comes to a stop.

I have found
normal force = mg
= 885.92N
and then friction = .05(885.92N)
= 44.296N
and using conservation of momentum i found the velocity after the collision will be 0.35m/s
but now I am stuck
please help.

So, you have the initial velocity. Given the frictional force that acts, what is the acceleration? So, how far will he get before he slides to a stop?

Hint: you can solve this just using kinematics. You have vf, vi, a, and you want d. Can you think of any equation with these things in them?

Note: haven't checked your actual numbers.

okay so final velocity will be 0 and initial is .35m/s but then i don't have acceleration.
i also have to account for the friction.

eqn: Vfinal^2 - Vinitail^2 = 2a x d

Loading said:
okay so final velocity will be 0 and initial is .35m/s but then i don't have acceleration.
i also have to account for the friction.

eqn: Vfinal^2 - Vinitail^2 = 2a x d
You know the mass, so you know the normal force. You know the coefficient of friction, so you know the frictional force. Doesn't that give you the acceleration?

but that's giving me the acceleration due to gravity...man I am so confused abt this question

Loading said:
but that's giving me the acceleration due to gravity...man I am so confused abt this question

No, you computed the friction force in your original post. The friction acts horizontally. It accelerates the player horizontally, to a stop. We're not talking about acceleration due to gravity. We're talking about acceleration resulting from that frictional force.

So, for friction: you have the force (F), you have the mass (m). How can you find the acceleration (a)? It's like one of the most fundamental laws of mechanics that will let you do so...

Friction= (m x a)x the coefficient ?

okay so this is what i have upto now:
mass of puck = .4kg
Speed of puck = 80m/s
Mass of goalie= 90kg and he is at rest
μ = 0.05

i found the common velocity after the colision to be 0.35 m/s
due to vertical equilibrium i stated that Fg=Fn
Fn=mg
Fn=885.92N
and then Friction = μ x Fn
Friction = 44.296N

So the acceleration is?

9.8?

This is good so far. Now, make a list of the horizontal forces acting on the guy. There should only be one item on this list. This is the net force acting on the guy. So, if you apply Newton's second law to the guy, what is his mass times horizontal acceleration? What is his initial velocity? You need to assume that, when his horizontal velocity slows to zero, static friction takes over, and he remains stopped.

oh ok...ahah wow...thanks for all the help guys :D

Related to How Far Does a Goalie Slide After Catching a Puck?

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can change the motion or shape of an object. It is measured in units of newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. How is force related to distance?

Force and distance are directly proportional. This means that as the distance increases, the force required to move an object also increases. This relationship is described by the formula F = kx, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. Velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. How does velocity affect force?

Velocity affects force in two ways - the direction of the force and the amount of force. If an object is moving in a straight line, the force will be in the same direction as the velocity. However, if an object is changing direction or accelerating, the force will be in a different direction. Additionally, the greater the velocity, the greater the force required to change the object's motion.

5. How can I calculate force, distance, or velocity?

There are various formulas and equations that can be used to calculate force, distance, and velocity. These include F = ma (force equals mass times acceleration), d = v*t (distance equals velocity times time), and v = d/t (velocity equals distance divided by time). It is important to determine which formula is appropriate for the specific scenario you are working with.