How far does the dart travel horizontally?

• Thread starter Becca93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun
In summary, the conversation revolved around a series of questions related to a dart gun and its projectiles. The last question asked for the horizontal distance at which the dart hits the ground. The solution to this question involves using projectile motion equations with the horizontal velocity and time of flight.
Becca93

Homework Statement

I need help with the very last of a series of questions:

The potential energy stored in the compressed spring of a dart gun, with a spring constant of 66.00 N/m, is 0.76 J. Find by how much is the spring is compressed.
My correct answer: 0.152 m

A 0.190 kg dart is fired straight up. Find the vertical distance the dart travels from its position when the spring is compressed to its highest position.
MCA: 0.408 m

The same dart is now fired horizontally from a height of 4.10 m. The dart remains in contact until the spring reaches its equilibrium position. Find the horizontal velocity of the dart at that time.
MCA: 2.83 m/s

Find the horizontal distance from the equilibrium position at which the dart hits the ground.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve this last question. I thought for a moment that I would use potential energies to find something I could plug into a kinematics equation, but the height up and down would be the same, negating mgh, there is no spring involved at this point, negating (1/2)kx^2, and the mass and horizontal velocity do not change.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Becca93.
I think this is a projectile motion problem. Horizontal Velocity is the horizonal component i.e. Vcosθ. Horizontal acceleration is 0m/s2 as velocity is constant throughout the flight, and time of flight is tseconds.

From then on it's as easy as using the equations of constant acceleration to find the horizontal distance.

(Hint: V0 = Vcosθm/s, and Vf = 0m/s.)

Last edited:

Related to How far does the dart travel horizontally?

What is a dart gun?

A dart gun is a type of toy gun that fires small darts, typically made of plastic with a rubber tip, using compressed air or springs.

How does a dart gun work?

A dart gun works by using a mechanism, such as a spring or compressed air, to propel a dart forward at high speeds. When the trigger is pulled, the mechanism is released, pushing the dart out of the gun.

What materials are darts typically made of?

Darts are typically made of plastic with a rubber or foam tip. The body of the dart may also contain metal or weight to help with stability and accuracy when fired.

How far can a dart be fired from a dart gun?

The distance a dart can be fired from a dart gun depends on the type of dart gun and the amount of force used to propel the dart. On average, a dart can travel anywhere from 10-30 feet.

Is it safe to play with a dart gun?

As with any toy, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when playing with a dart gun. Darts should not be aimed at people's faces or eyes, and it is recommended to wear eye protection when playing with dart guns.