How far does the person travel in km?

• Thread starter runner1738
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Travel
In summary, the person spends a total of 0.762 hours on the trip, with a distance traveled of 46.38125 kilometers.
runner1738
A person takes a trip, driving with a constant speed 90.5 km/h except for a 15 min rest stop. If the person's average speed is 60.8 km/h, how much time is spent on the trip? Answer in units of h.

how far does the person travel? answer in units of km.

Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?? what are your thoughts so far??

What is the definition of average speed?

average speed=total d/total t

so what are you saying you use constant speed and average speed to get time traveled?

You're given ave speed, so if you you can find the distance traveled, then you can find the total time of the trip... using the equation

[tex]S_{ave} = \frac{d}{t} [/tex]

Can you come up with an equation for the distance traveled that involves the total time?

but we are supposed to use the total time to find the distance traveled though, so the only thing we can use is the difference between the constant speed and average speed and find time that way

The question asks for both the time and distance traveled... once one is solved, the other easily follows.

You have an equation with two unknowns, t and d... but your also given some other info... can you use that info to write one of the unknowns in terms of the other?

i was thinking it was 60.8/90.5 gives you how long it takes him to go 60.8 km, then i got a decimal x 60 got minutes added 15, then went back to decimal and got .9218232044 which is around 55 min, but it wasnt right, what's wrong with this thinking?

we know that 60.8= d/t, and 90.5t=d (constant acceleration means 0 velocity as well unless change in direction

i just tried 90.5(t+.25)=60.8 because time + 15 min X the constant should equal the average right?

runner1738 said:
i just tried 90.5(t+.25)=60.8 because time + 15 min X the constant should equal the average right?
Any distance you cover is traveled at a speed of 90.5 km/h. So if t is the total time, then the part of that time spent moving is t - .25 hours. So if you multiply the speed your traveling by this time, you get the distance traveled, that is
d = 90.5(t - .25)

can you figure out the rest?

yea i got it total time was .7165, and distance was 46.38125

good! my answer for time was 0.762 h, but I didn't round until the end so the differences can be explained by round-off error.. the distance is the same

Related to How far does the person travel in km?

1. How is the distance traveled by a person measured?

The distance traveled by a person can be measured using various methods such as using a GPS device, calculating the distance on a map, or using a pedometer to track the number of steps taken.

2. Is the distance traveled by a person affected by their mode of transportation?

Yes, the distance traveled by a person can be affected by their mode of transportation. For example, a person traveling by car would cover more distance in a shorter amount of time compared to someone walking the same distance.

3. How accurate are the measurements of distance traveled by a person?

The accuracy of distance measurements can vary depending on the method used. GPS devices tend to be more accurate compared to calculating distance on a map or using a pedometer, which can be affected by factors such as terrain and human error.

4. Can the distance traveled by a person be affected by external factors?

Yes, the distance traveled by a person can be affected by external factors such as weather conditions, traffic, and route taken. These factors can impact the speed and efficiency of the person's travel, resulting in a shorter or longer distance covered.

5. How can the distance traveled by a person be used in scientific research?

The distance traveled by a person can be used in various scientific research studies, such as studying human behavior, analyzing transportation patterns, or tracking physical activity levels. It can also be used to calculate carbon footprints and assess the impact of human movement on the environment.