How far does the train travel before the engine is ....

In summary, the conversation discusses a model steam train engine powered by a sterno and white gas mixture that travels along a straight and level track. The train's speed can be represented by the equation v = 5t + 2t^2 - t^3 and the question asks for the distance traveled before the engine produces maximum force. The conversation also mentions the use of Free Body Diagrams and initial position being 0 when released from rest.
siimplyabi

Homework Statement

.[/B]
A model steam train engine has a mass of 2.3 kg is powered by a sterno and white gas mixture that heats a small boiler. Once sufficient steam pressure is produced, the train is released from rest. The train travels along a straight and level track. At any time after release and before it comes to rest, the train’s speed can be expressed by v = 5t + 2t 2 − t 3 .

a) How far does the train travel before the engine is producing maximum force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've only been thinking on how i can approach this problem and I haven't had any luck. I've tried drawing Free body Diagrams and drawing forces but it's not helping and its because i don't really understand what they are asking for.

Am I looking for a displacement? Now i know the initial position is 0 since it was released from rest.
Now I am guessing max force is the force needed to get the train moving?
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The v= 5t+2t^2-t^3

siimplyabi said:
Now i know the initial position is 0 since it was released from rest.

Released from rest means the initial velocity is zero.

Now I am guessing max force is the force needed to get the train moving?

When the force has its maximum value, what can you say about the acceleration?

Related to How far does the train travel before the engine is ....

1. How far does the train travel before the engine is refueled?

The distance a train can travel before needing to be refueled depends on a variety of factors, including the size and type of the train, the terrain it is traveling on, and the speed it is traveling at. Generally, a train can travel around 500 miles before needing to be refueled.

2. How far does the train travel before the engine needs maintenance?

Similar to refueling, the distance a train can travel before needing maintenance also varies depending on the factors mentioned above. However, on average, a train can travel around 5,000 to 10,000 miles before needing routine maintenance.

3. How far does the train travel before the engine needs to be replaced?

The lifespan of a train engine can vary greatly depending on the type of engine and how well it is maintained. However, on average, a train engine can last anywhere from 20 to 40 years before needing to be replaced.

4. How far does the train travel before the engine needs to be serviced?

Servicing a train engine involves regular check-ups and maintenance to ensure it is functioning properly. The frequency of servicing depends on the type of engine and how often it is used, but it typically occurs every 3 to 6 months or every 10,000 to 20,000 miles traveled.

5. How far does the train travel before the engine reaches its maximum speed?

The maximum speed of a train engine is dependent on various factors, including the type of engine and the train's weight and design. On average, a train can reach speeds of 50 to 70 mph, but some high-speed trains can reach speeds of over 200 mph.