How far has it traveled in this time?

• Thread starter sweetshelly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 747 jetliner landing and slowing to a stop on a runway. The mass of the jet is given as 3.50 x 10^5 kg, its initial speed is 27.0 m/s, and the net breaking force is 4.30 x 10^5 N. The conversation mentions using Newton's Second Law of Motion to solve the problem and confirms that the acceleration of the jet is 1.22 m/s squared. The equation used to solve for the jet's position at 7.5 seconds later is X = Xo + Voxt + 1/2 a t^2. For part a, the formula v=u+at is used
sweetshelly
I need help on this one homework problem.

A 747 jetliner lands and begins to slow to a stop as it moves along the runway. If its mass is 3.50 x 10^5 kg, its speed is 27.0 m/s, and the net breaking force is 4.30 x 10^5 N,

a) what is it speed 7.50s later
b) How far has it traveled in this time?

I don't know what equation or formula to use. I also don't know how to relate the force into the problem. The only thing that I know is the accerleration is zero because the jet is breaking.

Can someone please help me on what equation I should use to slove for the answer,

Physics news on Phys.org
And the "only thing you know" is very wrong.

The acceleration is not zero. If acceleration were zero, then the jet would maintain a constant velocity.

Do you have the mass of the jet? Do you have the "net force" on the jet? (Yes you do). Does "Newton's Second Law of Motion" ring a bell?

ok so
the accerleration= 1.22 m/s square

can I use
(x=finial y postion) = (Xo=initial y postion) + (Vox= initial velocity of X component)(t=time) + 1/2(a=accerleration)(t=time)square

X = Xo + Voxt + 1/2 a t^2Can I use this to find where the jet is at 7.5 second later?

Newton's Second Law is F=ma, hence a=m/F, giving a value of 0.81m/s squared in this case.
Now you can use v=u+at for part a) where u=27m/s, a=0.81 and t=7.5.
For part b) you could use the formula s=ut+0.5a(t^2). Hope that helps.

Oops sorry your acceleration value is correct, my mistake. Everything else should be ok, sorry.

FAQ: How far has it traveled in this time?

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled in a given time?

The distance traveled can be calculated by multiplying the speed or velocity of the object by the time it has been in motion.

2. What units are used to measure distance traveled?

The most common units used to measure distance are meters, kilometers, miles, and feet. However, for large distances, units like light years or astronomical units are used.

3. Does the direction of travel affect the distance traveled?

Yes, the direction of travel does affect the distance traveled. For example, if an object is traveling in a circular path, it may cover the same distance but end up at the starting point, resulting in a displacement of zero.

4. Can you calculate the distance traveled if the speed or time is unknown?

No, the distance traveled cannot be calculated without knowing at least two of the three variables: speed, time, and distance. If only one variable is known, it is impossible to determine the distance traveled.

5. How does air resistance affect the distance traveled?

Air resistance can decrease the distance traveled by an object by slowing it down. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the object's motion, reducing its speed and therefore, the distance traveled in a given time.