How Far North Does Carlos Travel in 10 Minutes?

• Thread starter gbedenba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, Carlos runs at a constant velocity of (6 m/s, 25° north of east) for 10 minutes. This means that his velocity and acceleration do not change, resulting in his final position being the same as his starting position. To solve for the distance traveled to the north, we can use the kinematic equations with acceleration set to zero in both the x and y directions.
gbedenba

Homework Statement

Carlos runs with a velocity of = (6 m/s, 25° north of east) for 10 minutes. How far to the north of his starting position does Carlos end up?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought maybe you would solve this problem like you do for x and y components? if so...where does the 10 min. go?

Physics news on Phys.org
You do have to solve considering x and y components. The time goes in the relevant kinematics equations of motion. What are they?

V = Vo + at
X - Xo = Vot + .5at2
v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)
X - Xo = .5(Vo + V)t

There is also a similar set of equations for the y direction. What should you use for the acceleration in the x and y direction?

i have no clue...i am confused

Read the problem. Draw North-South and East-West axes. Can you picture in your mind how Carlos is moving? Reread the problem. Is the Carlos' sped increasing, decreasing or staying the same? Does his direction of motion change?

I think his speed is staying the same... doesn't his direction stay the same as well

Yes, his speed and direction stay the same. This means that his velocity does not change. If his velocity does not change, what can you say about his acceleration?

acceleration is zero

Very good. Now put zero in the place of acceleration a in the kinematic equations and write one set for the x-direction and a second set for the y-direction.

which equation do I use? is there a way you could show me the first step?

V = Vo + at becomes V = Vo + 0*t becomes V = Vo.

Now that you know that V = Vo, replace V in the other three equations and replace a with zero like I did above.

X - Xo = Vot + .5at2
v2 = vo2 + 2a(X - Xo)
X - Xo = .5(Vo + V)t

Then repeat with y replacing x everywhere.

Related to How Far North Does Carlos Travel in 10 Minutes?

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in which direction it is moving. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it took for that change to occur. This can be represented by the equation velocity = displacement / time.

What is the unit of velocity?

The unit of velocity is distance per unit time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative if an object is moving in the opposite direction of a chosen positive direction. For example, if an object is moving west and the chosen positive direction is east, the velocity would be negative.

How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are two related but distinct concepts. While velocity includes direction, speed does not. In other words, velocity tells us the speed and direction of an object's motion, while speed only tells us how fast it is moving.