How Far Will a Rock Travel Horizontally from a Volcano When Ejected at an Angle?

In summary, the maximum height above sea level reached by rocks ejected from a 1750 m high volcano at a speed of 170 m/s in all directions is 3.22*10^3m. When considering a rock ejected at a 30 degree angle, the horizontal distance from the axis of the volcano can be found by solving for time using the formula y=v0*t+(1/2)at^2 and then plugging that time into the x component formula using the given values. In this case, t is equal to either 17.34s or 3.57s, depending on the method used. However, the correct horizontal distance values are 2429.14m or 4084.41
SilentBlade91
1. I got the first part right but I cannot figure out how to do the second part! Help please! And thank you!

Volcanoes on the Earth eject rocks at speeds of up to 170 m/s. Consider a 1750 m high volcano which ejects rocks in all directions. What is the maximum height above sea level reached by rocks?
Answer: 3.22*10^3m

part B: Consider a rock ejected an angle of 30degrees. How far from the axis of the volcano (horizontally) will it strike the ocean?

Physics news on Phys.org
separate your x and y components

x:
v0x=170cos30
x=?
t= from y

y:
v0y =170sin30
a =-9.81m/s^2
y = -1750m
t =
solve for t using y=v0*t+(1/2)at^2
then plug t into your x component to get x

(make sure to keep your initial y velocity positive and your acceleration and y distance negative)

Hi, Iam currently working on a similar problem and I keep getting it wrong. I found t to equal 17.34s or 3.57s by using the quadratic formula i then took a time and plugged it back into the formula using all the x component numbers and got 2429.14m or 4084.41m both are wrong.

my volcano is 2000m high and rocks are shooting at 45 degree angle traveling at 170m/s.
thanks

Related to How Far Will a Rock Travel Horizontally from a Volcano When Ejected at an Angle?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then falls under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What are the key components of a projectile motion problem?

The key components of a projectile motion problem are the initial velocity, launch angle, acceleration due to gravity, and time of flight. These parameters are used to calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time.

3. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = (V02 * sin(2θ)) / g, where V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is known as the apex or vertex. It can be calculated using the formula H = (V02 * sin2(θ)) / (2g), where V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, or drag, can affect the trajectory and velocity of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. This is especially significant for objects with a large surface area, such as a feather or a parachute. However, for most basic projectile motion problems, air resistance is ignored.