How far will the GOLF BALL travel?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the distance a golf ball would travel if struck by a golf club attached to a moving train. The question cannot be accurately answered with the given information, but a rough estimate of 200 yards is suggested. Conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are believed to play a role in solving the problem, but the variables are not known. There is also a discussion about potential legal consequences if the golf ball caused damage to private property.
paradigm23
How far will the GOLF BALL travel?

I'm a business major, and was hoping that a few of the geniuses here could help me solve a problem!

If a golf club was afixed to the front of a train (moving 100mph & assuming no loss of compression on the part of the train), and struck a stationary golf ball (with a C.O.R. of 70%) how far would the ball travel?

I've received several different answers ranging from it wouldn't leave the golf clubhead to 200 yards.

I'd appreciate any help on the subject, and possibly how the problem is solved. I am reasonably sure conservation of momentum and kinetic energy are involved, but just don't know how to properly use the variables.

Thanks in advance to anyone interested!

Physics news on Phys.org

You can't actually calculate an answer with the information provided, but 200 yards isn't a bad guess. 100 mph is in the ballpark of the speed at which a person swings a golf club, but you don't have a launch angle there from which to calculate trajectory.

Unless you golf club is made out of ballistics gel then it would certainly leave the head on impact!

Just for fun, and given you're a business major, if the golf ball was projected onto private property and caused damage, what would the legal ramifications include?

FAQ: How far will the GOLF BALL travel?

1. How does the initial velocity of a golf ball affect its distance?

The initial velocity of a golf ball is one of the main factors that determine how far it will travel. The higher the initial velocity, the farther the ball will go. This is because a higher initial velocity means the ball has more kinetic energy, allowing it to travel a greater distance before coming to a stop.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the distance a golf ball travels?

The angle of launch, also known as the trajectory, plays a significant role in determining the distance a golf ball will travel. Generally, a lower angle of launch will result in a longer carry distance, while a higher angle of launch will result in a shorter carry distance.

3. Does the type of golf club used affect the distance a ball travels?

Yes, the type of golf club used can affect the distance a ball travels. The length and loft of the club, as well as the material it is made of, can all impact the distance a ball will travel. For example, a driver with a longer shaft and lower loft will typically result in a longer shot compared to a shorter iron with a higher loft.

4. How does air resistance affect the distance a golf ball travels?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the distance a golf ball travels. The dimples on a golf ball help reduce air resistance and allow for a longer flight. However, as a ball slows down, air resistance increases, causing the ball to drop more quickly. This is why a higher initial velocity is crucial for achieving a longer distance.

5. What role does the temperature and altitude play in the distance a golf ball travels?

The temperature and altitude can both have an impact on the distance a golf ball travels. In warmer temperatures, the air is less dense, which means there is less drag on the ball, allowing it to travel farther. Similarly, at higher altitudes, the air is thinner, resulting in less drag and a longer carry distance. Conversely, colder temperatures and lower altitudes can lead to a shorter distance traveled by a golf ball.

Back