How Far Will You Go Before Stopping? Can You Avoid Hitting the Dog?

In summary, a sports car is driving at a velocity of 90km/hr and suddenly encounters a dog 50m ahead. The driver hits the brakes with a deceleration of 7.5m/s^2. The distance traveled before stopping is 540m, but this is incorrect due to incorrect unit conversion. After correcting the units, the correct distance can be calculated.
ms. confused
You are driving your new sports car at a velocity of 90km/hr, when you suddenly see a dog step into the road 50m ahead. You hit the brakes hard to get maximum deceleration of 7.5m/s^2. How far will you go before stopping? Can you avoid hitting the dog?

I got 540m, which I know is wrong. V=0; Vi=90; a= -7.5; d=? I plugged those values into this formula: V^2= Vi^2 + 2ad. What have I done wrong? Anyone? :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
ms. confused said:
What have I done wrong?

Right here:

Vi=90

Check your units. The given value of vi is 90 km/h, but you plugged it in as though it were 90 m/s. Convert the units and re-calculate. It should work.

Okay, got it...thanks for your help!

FAQ: How Far Will You Go Before Stopping? Can You Avoid Hitting the Dog?

1. What is "motion in 1 dimension"?

"Motion in 1 dimension" refers to the movement of an object along a single straight line. This can be described using concepts such as distance, displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How is distance different from displacement?

Distance refers to the total length covered by an object, while displacement refers to the straight-line distance between an object's starting and ending position. For example, if an object travels in a circular path and returns to its starting point, the distance traveled would be equal to the circumference of the circle, but the displacement would be zero because the object ended up at its original position.

3. What is velocity and how is it calculated?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position. It is calculated by dividing the displacement by the time taken to cover that distance. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

4. How does acceleration relate to motion in 1 dimension?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In 1 dimension, acceleration can be caused by a change in speed or a change in direction. An object with a constant acceleration will have a linear change in velocity over time, resulting in a curved position-time graph.

5. Can an object have a constant velocity and still be accelerating?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and still be accelerating if its direction of motion changes. For example, a car moving at a constant speed in a circular path is constantly changing direction, and therefore, experiencing acceleration even though its speed remains the same.

Back