How Fast Can Electro-Fiasco I Travel 1 km from Rest?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the minimum time required for a sportscar to travel 1 km assuming it begins and ends at rest, given its acceleration and maximum braking rate. The student attempted to solve the problem using SUVAT equations but wanted confirmation on their solution. Another user suggested using a velocity-time diagram to verify their reasoning and offered a different approach using the equation v2^2 = v1^2 + 2aΔx. The expert summarizer also noted that the subscripts for the accelerations in the equations were incorrect.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

A sportscar, Electro-Fiasco I, can accelerate uniformly to 100 km/h in 3.5 s. Its maximum braking rate cannot exceed 0.7g. What is the minimum time required to go 1 km, assuming it begins and ends at rest?

Homework Equations

SUVAT equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I solved the problem, but I want some confirmation before I go with my solution.

Let ##r_m## be the point at which the car begins to decelerate.
Let ##r_f## be the final point. = 1000 m
Let ##a_i## be the beginning acceleration. = 7.93 m/s^2
Let ##a_f## be the final acceleration. -0.7g

First I derived the following three equations:

1. ##r_m = \frac{1}{2} a_f t_m^2##
2. ##r_f - r_m = (a_f t_m)t_f - \frac{1}{2}(a_i) t_f^2##
3. ##t_m = \frac{a_i}{a_f}t_f##

Then I combined these to find the following expression ##\displaystyle t_f = \sqrt{\frac{r_f}{\frac{1}{2} a_i + \frac{a_f^2}{2 a_f}}}##

I then plugged all my numbers into find that final time is 12.5
Then the initial time is 10.82

And so we add these together to find the minimum time 23.32 seconds.

I need a sanity check. Is this the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
1. ##r_m = \frac{1}{2} a_f t_m^2##
2. ##r_f - r_m = (a_f t_m)t_f - \frac{1}{2}(a_i) t_f^2##
3. ##t_m = \frac{a_i}{a_f}t_f##

Then I combined these to find the following expression ##\displaystyle t_f = \sqrt{\frac{r_f}{\frac{1}{2} a_i + \frac{a_f^2}{2 a_f}}}##
Your approach looks good, but it appears that you have some of the subscripts on the accelerations switched in all of the above equations.

I then plugged all my numbers into find that final time is 12.5
Then the initial time is 10.82

And so we add these together to find the minimum time 23.32 seconds.
I believe these values for the times are correct.

Is ##\displaystyle t_f = \sqrt{\frac{r_f}{\frac{1}{2} a_i + \frac{a_i^2}{2 a_f}}}## the correct formula?

Also, is there a better way to do this problem? All of the calculations gave me a headache...

Verify your reasoning with a velocity-time diagram.
That way you do not need to rely on getting the right equations: everything boils down to geometry of triangles.

You are saying that at time ##t_m## the car is at displacement ##r_m## from the origin, and starts to decelerate ... so the acceleration changes from ##a_i## to ##-a_f## this right?
So for ##0<t<t_m##, the acceleration is ##a_i## ?
Is that what eq1 says?

Check derivation for the others too.

Simon Bridge said:
Verify your reasoning with a velocity-time diagram.
That way you do not need to rely on getting the right equations: everything boils down to geometry of triangles
Nice!

Mr Davis 97 said:
Is ##\displaystyle t_f = \sqrt{\frac{r_f}{\frac{1}{2} a_i + \frac{a_i^2}{2 a_f}}}## the correct formula?
Looks like the subscripts on the accelerations are incorrect. It appears that when you are setting up your equations, you are taking ##a_i## to be the final acceleration and ##a_f## to be the initial acceleration.

Also, is there a better way to do this problem? All of the calculations gave me a headache...
Simon has a clever approach.

Or you can try to see if invoking the equation ##v_2^2 = v_1^2 + 2a\Delta x## helps shorten the calculation.

Related to How Fast Can Electro-Fiasco I Travel 1 km from Rest?

1. What is the minimum time for a sportscar to go from 0 to 60 mph?

The minimum time for a sportscar to go from 0 to 60 mph varies depending on the model and make of the car. Some high-performance sportscars can achieve this in under 3 seconds, while others may take around 5 seconds.

2. How is the minimum time for a sportscar to go from 0 to 60 mph determined?

The minimum time for a sportscar to go from 0 to 60 mph is determined through performance testing. This involves multiple runs with precise timing equipment to calculate the average time. Factors such as engine power, weight, and traction play a significant role in determining the minimum time.

3. Can modifications be made to a sportscar to improve its minimum time?

Yes, modifications can be made to a sportscar to improve its minimum time. Common modifications include engine tuning, aerodynamic enhancements, and lighter weight materials. However, it is essential to note that these modifications may also affect the car's overall performance and handling.

4. How does the minimum time of a sportscar compare to other types of cars?

Sportscars typically have a faster minimum time than other types of cars such as sedans or SUVs. This is because sportscars are designed for high-speed performance and often have more powerful engines and lighter weight. However, some high-performance sedans may have similar or even faster minimum times than sportscars.

5. Can the minimum time for a sportscar to go from 0 to 60 mph be improved with driving techniques?

Yes, driving techniques can play a role in improving the minimum time for a sportscar to go from 0 to 60 mph. Techniques such as launch control, proper shifting, and tire pressure management can help maximize the car's acceleration and improve its overall performance. However, these techniques require proper training and should only be used on closed and controlled tracks.