How Fast Do Sound Waves Travel in Ocean Water?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of sonar on a stationary research ship to send a sound wave through the ocean. The speed of the sound wave, calculated using the distance and time it takes for the wave to be reflected, is 762.353 m/s. The period of the sound wave is also determined to be 0.000847 seconds. The conversation also advises against using formulas involving frequency, period, or wavelength in this type of question.
ode19
1. A stationary research ship uses sonar to send a 1.18 × 103-hertz sound wave down
through the ocean water. The reflected sound wave from the flat ocean bottom 324 meters
below the ship is detected 0.425 second after it was sent from the ship.
a. Calculate the speed of the sound wave in the ocean water.
b. Calculate the speed of the sound wave in the ocean water
c. Determine the period of the sound wave in the ocean water.

2. a. wavelength= velocity*Period
b. v=d/t
c. Period= 1/Frequency
3. w=vT= (distance/time)/(Frequency)= d/(tf) and i got .6461 meters
b. i assumed its just distance/time and got 762.353 m/s
c. i used the equation Period= 1/Frequency and i got .000847

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, ode19.
The velocity is found from timing the leading edge of the pulse down and back up. Use v = d/t with a distance to 2x324 meters because it has to go down and back up.
Avoid using any formula with frequency, period or wavelength in it for this kind of question - it does not matter what those are in a question like (b) where you are only concerned with the motion of the pulse or beginning of a train of waves.

Thank you very much.
I now understand the question. I appreciate it.

Most welcome.

seconds

I can provide some insights on the sound waves in the ocean based on the information provided. Sound waves in the ocean are a type of longitudinal wave, which means that the particles of the medium (in this case, water) vibrate in the same direction as the wave is traveling. These waves are created by various sources such as marine animals, earthquakes, and man-made activities.

In the given scenario, a research ship is using sonar to send a 1.18 × 103-hertz sound wave down through the ocean water. Sonar, also known as sound navigation and ranging, is a technique that uses sound waves to navigate, communicate, and detect objects in the water. The reflected sound wave from the flat ocean bottom 324 meters below the ship is detected 0.425 seconds after it was sent.

To calculate the speed of the sound wave in the ocean water, we can use the formula v=d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance, and t is the time. Plugging in the given values, we get v=324m/0.425s=762.35 m/s. This is the speed of sound in the ocean water.

To determine the period of the sound wave in the ocean water, we can use the formula Period= 1/Frequency. The frequency of the sound wave is given as 1.18 × 103-hertz, so the period will be 1/1.18 × 103=0.000847 seconds.

In conclusion, the speed of sound in the ocean water is 762.35 m/s and the period of the sound wave is 0.000847 seconds. These calculations can help us understand the behavior of sound waves in the ocean and their applications in various fields such as marine biology and oceanography.

Related to How Fast Do Sound Waves Travel in Ocean Water?

1. What causes sound waves in the ocean?

Sound waves in the ocean are caused by the vibrations of objects, such as marine animals, ships, or natural phenomena like earthquakes. These vibrations create pressure changes in the water, which travel as sound waves.

2. How do sound waves travel in the ocean?

Sound waves travel through the ocean as longitudinal waves, meaning the particles of water move back and forth in the same direction as the wave. This allows sound waves to travel over long distances with minimal loss of energy.

3. How fast do sound waves travel in the ocean?

The speed of sound in the ocean depends on various factors such as water temperature, depth, and salinity. On average, sound travels at a speed of 1,500 meters per second in the ocean, which is about four times faster than in air.

4. How are sound waves used in oceanography?

Sound waves are used in oceanography for various purposes, such as measuring water depth, mapping the seafloor, and studying marine life. Scientists use specialized equipment, such as sonar and hydrophones, to emit and detect sound waves in the ocean.

5. What impact do human activities have on sound waves in the ocean?

Human activities can have a significant impact on sound waves in the ocean. Noise pollution from sources such as ship traffic, sonar, and offshore drilling can disrupt marine animals' communication and navigation. This can have negative effects on their behavior, feeding patterns, and ultimately, their survival.