How Fast Does the Diagonal of a Cube Change with Its Side Length?

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of change of the diagonal of a cube as its side increases at 1 cm/s. Using Pythagorean Theorem, the diagonal is derived as D=√3x, where x represents the side length. The derivative of D with respect to x is 3x/√3x^2. To find dD/dt, the chain rule is used, resulting in dD/dt= 3x/√3x^2 * dx/dt.
Murdoc88

Homework Statement

The side of a cube increases at 1 cm / s. How fast is the diagonal of the cube changing when the side is 1 cm?

Homework Equations

Involves:

[itex] a^2+b^2=c^2 [/itex]
Implicit Differentiation
Derivation

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm attempting to find the diagonal of the cube through Pythagorean Theory where I find the diagonal of one side of the cube to give me an equation for side length 'A', after finding side length 'A' I know that the height of the cube is 'x' centimeters so I can then again use Pythagorean Theory to find the equation of the diagonal going through the cube.

So I set all sides of the cube equal to 'x' and solve for a diagonal of one of the sides of the cube in order to get a side length ( 'A' ) of the diagonal within the cube. Using Pythagorean I come to the equation of:

[itex]x^2+x^2=C^2[/itex]
[itex]2x^2=C^2[/itex]

[itex] \sqrt2x^2 = C [/itex]

After that I know that the height of the cube is 'x' so once again using Pythagorean I can derive an equation for the diagonal through the cube.

[itex](\sqrt2x^2)^2 + x^2 = D^2[/itex]

[itex]3x^2 = D^2[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt3x^2 = d[/itex]

Now this is where I become confused in order to find the rate of change at 1 cm. Do I then find the derivative of [itex]\sqrt3x^2 = D[/itex] through implicit differentiation?

I.E:

[itex]D = \sqrt3x^2[/itex]
[itex]D' = (3x)/\sqrt3x^2 (dLength/dt)[/itex]

... I'm rather lost on what to do from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Should this be in this thread or Calculus?? Just for next time.

I think you are there dD/dt=6x*dx/dt
lets try it for 1.05, using your eqn for D at x=1.05, D=3.3075 deltaD=.3075
using formula where x=1 and dx=.05 6*.05=.30 in good agreement in spite of a 5 percent change.

Sorry, I think that my final equation was wrong ... was I right or am I right now??

I thought you were right before.

Well I didn't have dD/dt=6x*(dx/dt) because I had differentiated incorrectly I believe.

My final equation should be:

[itex](dD/dt) = (3x)/(\sqrt(3x^2))*(dx/dt) [/itex]

oh , i see my blunder,,
D^2=3x^2. hence D=x(sqrt(3))
dD/dx=1.73
so dD/dt=1.73(dx/dt) not sure how you came up with what you posted.

I seem to possesses that skill with these problems .. early today I proved that 0 = -37 hahaha ... oh i hate when I forget that sqrt can be negative. No it's alright, I have solved the problem on my own .. thank you so much though!

hey I'm struggling with the same issue on another thread. Serendipity must have put on here tonite on this thread. I like that square roots of negative numbers exist, it provides symmetry to the universe and an endless demand for textbooks as well...:rolleyes: and just last nite, on another thread over in intro physics that forgetting this set up a logical contradiction that neither student nor teacher could reconcile.

Last edited:
Murdoc88 said:

Homework Statement

The side of a cube increases at 1 cm / s. How fast is the diagonal of the cube changing when the side is 1 cm?

Homework Equations

Involves:

[itex] a^2+b^2=c^2 [/itex]
Implicit Differentiation
Derivation

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm attempting to find the diagonal of the cube through Pythagorean Theory where I find the diagonal of one side of the cube to give me an equation for side length 'A', after finding side length 'A' I know that the height of the cube is 'x' centimeters so I can then again use Pythagorean Theory to find the equation of the diagonal going through the cube.

So I set all sides of the cube equal to 'x' and solve for a diagonal of one of the sides of the cube in order to get a side length ( 'A' ) of the diagonal within the cube. Using Pythagorean I come to the equation of:

[itex]x^2+x^2=C^2[/itex]
[itex]2x^2=C^2[/itex]
To this point you are correct. However, when you take the square root of both sides you do NOT get
[itex] \sqrt2x^2 = C [/itex]
but rather
[tex]\sqrt{2}x= C[/tex]
Or did you mean for that to be [itex]\sqrt{2x^2}[/itex]. If so, put everything you want inside the square root in "{ }" braces. But for positive x, [itex]\sqrt{x^2}= x[/itex] anyway.

After that I know that the height of the cube is 'x' so once again using Pythagorean I can derive an equation for the diagonal through the cube.

[itex](\sqrt2x^2)^2 + x^2 = D^2[/itex]

[itex]3x^2 = D^2[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt3x^2 = d[/itex]
Again, that should be
[tex]\sqrt{3}x= D[/tex]
(Also, don't switch from "D" to "d" in the middle!)

Now this is where I become confused in order to find the rate of change at 1 cm. Do I then find the derivative of [itex]\sqrt3x^2 = D[/itex] through implicit differentiation?

I.E:

[itex]D = \sqrt3x^2[/itex]
[itex]D' = (3x)/\sqrt3x^2 (dLength/dt)[/itex]

... I'm rather lost on what to do from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, you are getting quite lost. For one thing, where did that "Length" come from? Don't forget what you variables stand for. You have already decided to use "x" as the length of a side. Assuming you mean [itex]\sqrt{3x^2}[/itex] then write it as [itex](3x^2)^{1/2}[/itex] and its derivative is [itex](1/2)(3x)^{-1/2}= 3x/\sqrt{3x^2}[/itex] as you have. However, [itex]3/\sqrt{3}= \sqrt{3}[/tex] and [itex]x/\sqrt{x^2}= x/x= 1[/itex] as long as x is positive, as it is here. That is, you have [itex]D'= \sqrt{3}[/itex]. (Had you written [itex]\sqrt{3x^2}[/itex] as [itex]\sqrt{3}x[/itex], that would have been obvious!) By the way, since D is written as an explicit function of x (D= f(x)), that is not "implicit" differentiation.

You want to find how fast the diagonal is changing: that is dD/dt and you know how fast the length of a side is changing: dx/dt. The "obvious" way to do that is to start with an equation involving D and x (and D= \sqrt{3}x will work fine!) and differentiate both sides with respect to t. That would involve the chain rule rather than implicit differentiation: if D= f(x), then
dD/dt= dD/dx (dx/dt). In other words, the equation you really need is
dD/dt= \sqrt{3} (dx/dt). Okay, if dx/dt= 1 cm/s what is dD/dt?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Fast Does the Diagonal of a Cube Change with Its Side Length?

1. What is a related rates problem involving a cube?

A related rates problem involving a cube is a type of mathematical problem where two or more variables are changing with respect to time, and the rate at which one variable is changing is related to the rate at which another variable is changing. In this case, the cube is the object in question and its dimensions are changing over time.

2. How do you solve a related rates problem involving a cube?

To solve a related rates problem involving a cube, you first need to identify the relevant variables and how they are related. Then, you can use the chain rule of differentiation to find the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. Finally, you can plug in the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What are some real-life applications of related rates problems involving cubes?

Related rates problems involving cubes can be applied to various real-life scenarios, such as the rate at which a melting ice cube is changing in volume, the rate at which a balloon is inflating, or the rate at which a box is changing shape due to pressure changes.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a related rates problem involving a cube?

Common mistakes when solving a related rates problem involving a cube include not correctly identifying the relevant variables, not correctly applying the chain rule, and not correctly setting up the equation to solve for the unknown rate of change. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double-check your work for errors.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving related rates problems involving cubes?

One helpful tip for solving related rates problems involving cubes is to draw a diagram or visualize the situation to better understand the problem. Another tip is to use units and keep track of them throughout the problem, as this can help you identify the correct variables and how they are related. Additionally, practicing with different types of related rates problems can improve your problem-solving skills and make it easier to solve future problems.

Back