How Fast Does the Shadow Move on a Dome as a Balloon Rises?

In summary, a hemispherical dome with a diameter of 100m has a search light placed at point A in the middle of the dome at B. A balloon is released vertically with a velocity of 4m/s. The shadow of the balloon will move along the curved surface of the dome at a speed of 6.4m/s as the balloon rises 25m. The length of the shadow's arc can be calculated using the radius of the dome and the angle θ, which can be found using the height of the shadow and the radius.
Myung

Homework Statement

A hemispherical dome has a diameter of 100m. A search light was placed at point A as shown at the middle of the dome at B. A balloon was released vertically at a velocity of 4m/s. How fast will the shadow of the balloon move alone the roof if it traveled 25 m vertically.

Image link:http://bit.ly/rem8PG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start this. I don't understand the nature of the shadow and why did it bounce off the wall like as shown in the image.

What relationship should i use? Please help me to solve this step by step. I'm willing to learn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Myung said:

Homework Statement

A hemispherical dome has a diameter of 100m. A search light was placed at point A as shown at the middle of the dome at B. A balloon was released vertically at a velocity of 4m/s. How fast will the shadow of the balloon move alone the roof if it traveled 25 m vertically.

Image link:http://bit.ly/rem8PG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start this. I don't understand the nature of the shadow and why did it bounce off the wall like as shown in the image.

What relationship should i use? Please help me to solve this step by step. I'm willing to learn.
The shadow isn't bouncing off the inside of the dome. That line is just a radius of the dome, from the light out to the hemispherical wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
The shadow isn't bouncing off the inside of the dome. That line is just a radius of the dome, from the light out to the hemispherical wall.

Oh, so using that the value of the shadow will have height of 25 m which is 50m from point B after the instant of traveling upwards. But what is the use of the velocity of the balloon? What variables can I use to get the speed of the shadow?

The shadow travels along the curved surface of the dome. As the balloon rised 25 m. the shadow will move along an arc whose length is r * [itex]\theta][/itex].

Mark44 said:
The shadow travels along the curved surface of the dome. As the balloon rised 25 m. the shadow will move along an arc whose length is r * [itex]\theta][/itex].

I can't get θ without knowing how long did the balloon fly over B. If I only how long it took then I would have a fixed value after it traveled solving an angle at point A and getting θ by sine-law and supplementary angles.

This is what I have so far:

Since we are looking for velocity of shadow
let that be = d(h)/d(t)

and height of shadow = h

So Sinθ = h/50m
derivative of this equation is:
Cosθ(dθ/dt) = [50m(1)[d(h)/d(t)] - h(0)] / 2500

I have no values for θ and (dθ/dt) if I can get this I can get the d(h)/d(t) which is the main requirement of this equation. Still I haven't used the 4m/s velocity of the balloon from point B, I know that has a significant role in solving this but I can't seem to use it. I tried to get it's height after the instant but there is no time given. Help guys?

Mark44 said:

Thank you this helped me solve the equation. The speed of the shadow is 6.4m/s

Related to How Fast Does the Shadow Move on a Dome as a Balloon Rises?

1. What is the concept of related rates application?

The concept of related rates application involves using the principles of calculus to analyze how the rates of change of two or more related quantities are related to each other. This is typically done in real-world scenarios where the variables are interdependent and changing over time.

2. How is the chain rule used in related rates application?

The chain rule is used in related rates application to find the rate of change of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable when both variables are changing. It involves taking the derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable, and then multiplying it by the rate of change of the independent variable.

3. What are some common examples of related rates in everyday life?

Some common examples of related rates in everyday life include rates of change in the volume of a balloon as it is inflated, the rate at which the length of a shadow changes as the sun moves, and the rate at which the water level in a conical tank changes as it is being filled.

4. How do you set up a related rates problem?

To set up a related rates problem, you must first identify the variables involved and determine which variables are changing. Then, you must find the equation that relates the variables and take the derivative of both sides with respect to time. Finally, substitute in the given rates of change and solve for the desired rate.

5. What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing a diagram to visualize the scenario, assigning variables to the changing quantities, and setting up the equation correctly. It is also helpful to review the chain rule and practice solving different types of related rates problems.

Back