How Fast Does the Water Level Rise in a Triangular Trough?

In summary, the problem involves water being pumped into a trough with a triangular cross section. With a length of 4.5m and a side of 1.5m, the rate of inflow is 2m3/min. The question is asking for the rate of change of the water level when it is 0.5m deep. After using properties of similar triangles and differentiating the equation for volume, the answer is determined to be 0.77m/min. However, there was a discrepancy in the calculation and another solution was given with a final answer of 0.75m/min.
decamij
Water is being pumped into a trough that is 4.5m long and has a cross section in the shape of an equilateral triangle 1.5m on a side. If the rate of inflow is 2m3/min, how fast is the water level rising when the water is 0.5m deep?

Answer is 0.77m/min.

Sorry for not posting this in the homework help section - saw the sign afterwards, and don't really have much time to move it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another point is that you should show us what you have already tried- don't just post the problem!

Well, I can try to help you, but I don't have enough time to work it out.

You want to find the rate of change of the area, so you'll need to use

a=1/2bh

Then eventually differentiate.

You should use properties of similar triangles to solve for the unknown.

then,
da/dt=(1/2)bh*(db/dt)

and you should be able to know all those variables.

Or else I'm completely wrong

But its a triangular prism, isn't it? I don't think just using area will work. I did this:

I use the equilateral triangle to find the height of the prism, and used the equation:

V = 1/2lwh (where l is 4.5, height is 1.5, and width was solved in terms of h).
= 1/2lo.58h^2, (er something like that)
I tried differentiating the equation to get:
dv/dt = 1.16h(dh/dt) --> (i think)

My final answer was 0.75m/min

Related to How Fast Does the Water Level Rise in a Triangular Trough?

1. What is an "other related rates problem" in mathematics?

An "other related rates problem" is a type of mathematical problem in which the rate of change of one quantity is related to the rate of change of another quantity. These problems often involve multiple variables and require the use of calculus to solve.

2. How are "other related rates problems" different from regular rates problems?

In regular rates problems, the rate of change of a single quantity is given and the goal is to find the value of that quantity at a specific time. In other related rates problems, the rates of change of two or more quantities are related to each other and the goal is to find the rate of change of one quantity in terms of the rate of change of another quantity.

3. What are some common real-life applications of "other related rates problems"?

"Other related rates problems" have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, these problems can be used to model the growth of populations, the flow of fluids, and the change in temperature over time.

4. What are some tips for solving "other related rates problems"?

When faced with an "other related rates problem," it is important to carefully read and understand the given information, identify the relevant variables and their rates of change, and set up an equation expressing the relationship between the variables. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and use the chain rule in calculus to find the desired rate of change.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving "other related rates problems"?

One common mistake is to confuse the rates of change of different variables. It is important to keep track of which variables are changing and which are constant. Another mistake is to forget to convert units when necessary, which can result in incorrect answers. It is also important to carefully interpret the problem to ensure that the correct rate is being calculated.