How Fast Does Your Suitcase Travel on a Baggage Carousel?

• Thread starter rcrx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, to find the velocity of the spinning suitcase on the baggage carousel with an angle of 36 degrees above horizontal, use the equations Fn = mg, Fsmax = µsmg, Fc = mV²/r, ΣFx = -Fn cos54 + Fs cos36 = mV²/r, and ΣFy = Fn sin54 + Fs sin36 - mg = 0. The next step is to resolve the components of the forces and find the maximum speed at which the friction force is equal to the parallel forces from the weight and the centrifugal force. This can be done by setting the weight and centrifugal force in opposite directions and solving for the velocity.
rcrx
A suitcase on a baggage carousel is spinning around at an unknown velocity. The carousel has an angle of 36 degrees above horizontal. The suitcase is held in place by static friction with a coefficient of 0.760. Find the velocity.

Eqn's
Fn = mg | Fsmax = µsmg | Fc = mV²/r

I get as far as this, and I am stuck as to what to do next.
I need to find Fc

ΣFx = -Fn cos54 + Fs cos36 = mV²/r

ΣFy = Fn sin 54 + Fs sin36 - mg = 0

Where do I go next? My prof tried to explain it to me but it didn't click, I am a step-by-step learner! Thanks all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I presume you were given the radius of this carousel as well? There is a lot of resolving components summing forces. There should be a normal component from the weight and the centrifugal force and a component parallel to the carousel from bot those forces. To find the max speed the friction must be equal to the parallel forces. The weight and the centrifugal force will act in the opposite direction however.

To find the velocity, we need to use the equation ΣFx = mV²/r, where ΣFx represents the sum of all the forces acting in the horizontal direction (x-axis). In this case, we have two forces acting in the horizontal direction: Fn cos54 and Fs cos36.

First, we need to find the value of Fn, which represents the normal force acting on the suitcase. We can use the equation Fn = mg, where m is the mass of the suitcase and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). Since we do not know the mass of the suitcase, we can assign a variable, let's say m.

Next, we need to find the value of Fs, which represents the maximum static friction force. We can use the equation Fsmax = µsmg, where µs is the coefficient of static friction and mg is the weight of the suitcase. Again, we do not know the weight of the suitcase, so we can assign a variable, let's say w.

Now, we can substitute these values into the equation ΣFx = mV²/r:

mV²/r = -mg cos54 + µsmg cos36

Next, we can simplify this equation by factoring out the common term m:

m(V²/r) = m(-g cos54 + µsg cos36)

Now, we can cancel out the m's on both sides of the equation, leaving us with:

V²/r = -g cos54 + µsg cos36

Finally, we can rearrange this equation to solve for V:

V = √[(r(-g cos54 + µsg cos36)]

Now we have our final equation for finding the velocity of the suitcase on the baggage carousel. We just need to plug in the values for the given variables (r, g, µs), and solve for V. Keep in mind that r represents the radius of the carousel, which you may need to measure or look up.

I hope this helps and makes sense to you! Let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: How Fast Does Your Suitcase Travel on a Baggage Carousel?

What is velocity on baggage carousel?

Velocity on baggage carousel refers to the speed at which luggage moves around the carousel in an airport. It is measured in units of distance per time, such as feet per second or meters per minute.

How is velocity on baggage carousel calculated?

Velocity on baggage carousel is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the luggage on the carousel by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can be measured using a stopwatch or other timing device.

Why is velocity on baggage carousel important to consider?

Velocity on baggage carousel is important to consider because it affects the efficiency and speed of baggage handling in airports. A higher velocity can lead to faster baggage delivery and a smoother travel experience for passengers.

What factors can affect velocity on baggage carousel?

The velocity on baggage carousel can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the carousel itself, the amount and weight of luggage on the carousel, and any obstructions or delays in the baggage handling process.

How can velocity on baggage carousel be improved?

To improve velocity on baggage carousel, airports can invest in faster and more efficient carousels, implement better baggage handling systems, and streamline the baggage loading and unloading process to minimize delays and obstructions.

Back