How Fast Is the Angle of Elevation Changing as the Rocket Ascends?

In summary, the angle of elevation between the rocket and the observer changes at a rate of .64 degrees per minute.
MysticDude
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A rocket is fired vertically into the air at a rate of 6 mi/min. An observer on the ground is located 4 miles from the launching pad. When the rocket is 3 miles high, how fast is the angle of elevation between the rocket and the observer changing? Be sure to specify units.

Homework Equations

Derivative of tanθ = sec²θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok well I know that at that moment that θ is tan-1(3/4) which is 36.870°. Then I went ahead and set up my equation as tanθ = y/x. Taking the derivative of both sides I get:
[tex]\theta'sec^{2}(\theta) = \frac{xy' - yx'}{x^2}[/tex] then I substitute for the values and I get θ'sec²(θ) = 1. Finally, I divide both sides by sec²θ to get my final answer that θ' = .64 degrees per minute.

Thanks for any help guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
MysticDude said:

Homework Statement

A rocket is fired vertically into the air at a rate of 6 mi/min. An observer on the ground is located 4 miles from the launching pad. When the rocket is 3 miles high, how fast is the angle of elevation between the rocket and the observer changing? Be sure to specify units.

Homework Equations

Derivative of tanθ = sec²θ

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok well I know that at that moment that θ is tan-1(3/4) which is 36.870°. Then I went ahead and set up my equation as tanθ = y/x. Taking the derivative of both sides I get:
[tex]\theta'sec^{2}(\theta) = \frac{xy' - yx'}{x^2}[/tex] then I substitute for the values and I get θ'sec²(θ) = 1. Finally, I divide both sides by sec²θ to get my final answer that θ' = .64 degrees per minute.

Thanks for any help guys!

Not sure exactly what your question is. You have the correct answer. You might have come to it easier if you had started with the equation tan(θ) = y/4 instead of y/x. You don't need the quotient rule because x is a constant. This gives you directly that

sec2(θ) θ' = y'/4 = 3/2

LCKurtz said:
Not sure exactly what your question is. You have the correct answer. You might have come to it easier if you had started with the equation tan(θ) = y/4 instead of y/x. You don't need the quotient rule because x is a constant. This gives you directly that

sec2(θ) θ' = y'/4 = 3/2

Hehe, oopsie. Thanks for the help LCKurtz! :D

FAQ: How Fast Is the Angle of Elevation Changing as the Rocket Ascends?

1. What is the definition of rate of change of theta?

The rate of change of theta refers to the rate at which the angle theta is changing with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly the value of theta is increasing or decreasing.

2. How is the rate of change of theta calculated?

The rate of change of theta can be calculated by taking the derivative of the function that represents theta with respect to time. This can be done using the chain rule for trigonometric functions.

3. What is the unit of measurement for rate of change of theta?

The unit of measurement for rate of change of theta depends on the units of measurement for theta and time. For example, if theta is measured in radians and time is measured in seconds, then the unit for rate of change of theta would be radians per second.

4. How is the rate of change of theta used in real-world applications?

The rate of change of theta is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and robotics. It is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of rotating objects, and to model and predict the movement of celestial bodies and robotic arms.

5. How does the rate of change of theta affect the shape of a graph?

The rate of change of theta can affect the shape of a graph by determining the steepness or slope of the graph at a particular point. A higher rate of change of theta results in a steeper slope, while a lower rate of change of theta results in a flatter slope. This can be seen in the graph of a sine or cosine function, where the rate of change of theta affects the amplitude and frequency of the wave.

Back