How Fast Must a Ball Be Kicked to Avoid Hitting a Hemispherical Rock?

In summary: So that would be(1+0.414)*R=R+0.414R=1.414R. So the distance from the base is 1.414R.I'm not sure if that's correct, but it seems like it is. =)In summary, the minimum initial speed required for the ball to not hit the hemisphere after being kicked from the top is v_i>\sqrt{Rg}. The ball will hit the ground at a horizontal distance of \sqrt{2}R from the base of the rock.
Ailo

Homework Statement

A person standing at the top of a hemispherical rock of radius R kicks a ball (initially at rest on the top of the rock) to give it horizontal velocity vi
(a) What must be its minimum initial speed if the ball is never to hit the rock after it is kicked?
(b) With this initial speed, how far from the base of the rock does the ball hit the ground?

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{2}gt^2=R=y, \ v_it=x, \ (v^2/R=a_c ?)[/tex]

The coordinate system I use is one with a horizontal x-axis in the direction of the kick and a vertical y-axis downwards.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I just tried gathering as much information as possible. I got [tex]t=\sqrt{2R/G}[/tex]. I also managed to link x and the initial speed in an equation: [tex]gx^2=2v_i^2R[/tex]. But I'm stumped as to how I can assure that the ball doesn't hit the rock. Maybe I have to use what I know about circular motion as well, but that's just a wild guess... Any hints? =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

What is the vertical and horizontal distance from the point where the ball is kicked to the edge of the hemisphere in contact with the ground?

Thank you. =)

R, and R.

Ailo said:
Thank you. =)

R, and R.
Good. So when y=R, what must be the value of x so that the ball doesn't touch the hemisphere?

x must be greater than R.

Ailo said:
Correct. So can you solve the problem?

I only get [tex]v_it>R \Rightarrow v_i>R/t[/tex]. Even if i subsitute in what I know for t, R/t can't be the minimum velocity. Or did you mean something else?

Ailo said:

My initial thought was this too. Projectile motion follows a parabolic path. Couldn't this path - if the ball were to kicked precisely enough to hit the edge of the rock on the ground - intersect with the rock at some point along the journey?
I'm merely saying this because by visual inspection, a circle 'drops off' quicker near the end compared to a parabola.

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6049/ballrockmm0.png
http://g.imageshack.us/img294/ballrockmm0.png/1/

Notice the intersection between the path of the ball and the rock face as the ball tries to land at the corner of the rock. This could suggest that the minimum horizontal velocity [tex]v_i[/tex] needs to be increased/re-thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ailo said:
(b) With this initial speed, how far from the base of the rock does the ball hit the ground?

...And the second question supports my suspicions.

Yes.

[tex]gx^2=2v_i^2y[/tex]

You make a good point Mentallic. We need to reformulate the problem.

Let us define our axes such that the the origin coincides with the centre point of the circle. The the ball's initial position is (x,y) = (0,R) so the equations of motion become:

[tex]y = R - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

[tex]x = v_i t[/tex]

As Mentallic points out, we now also have an additional constraint required to ensure that the ball does not intersect the hemisphere:

[tex]x^2+y^2 > R^2 \;\;\;\text{ for }\;\;\; t>0[/tex]

Do you follow?

Yes, now I follow. =)

Ailo said:
Yes, now I follow. =)
Good. So the next step would be to find an expression for vi in terms of t. Can you do that?

HINT: Substitute the first two equations into the inequality to eliminate x and y

Last edited:
[tex]v_i^2t^2+(R-\frac{1}{2}gt^2)^2>R^2[/tex]

After a lot of algebra, this reduces to

[tex]v_i^2>Rg-\frac{g^2t^2}{4}[/tex]

So how do I find the t I'm after?

Ailo said:
[tex]v_i^2t^2+(R-\frac{1}{2}gt^2)^2>R^2[/tex]

After a lot of algebra, this reduces to

[tex]v_i^2>Rg-\frac{g^2t^2}{4}[/tex]

So how do I find the t I'm after?
Looking good so far. What does t represent in this case? In other words, what specific time are we looking at?

When t=0, [tex]v_i>\sqrt{Rg}[/tex] !

I think I actually understood that. A million thanks Hootenanny (and Mentallic also)! =)

Now b is straightforward. When the ball hits the ground, y=0.

[tex]R-\frac{1}{2}gt^2=0 \ \Rightarrow \ t=\sqrt{\frac{2R}{g}}[/tex]

The ball has then traveled the horizontal distance

[tex]v_it=\sqrt{Rg} \cdot \sqrt{\frac{2R}{g}}=\sqrt{2}R[/tex].

So the answer is [tex](\sqrt{2}-1)R[/tex]. :smile:

Ailo said:
When t=0, [tex]v_i>\sqrt{Rg}[/tex] !

I think I actually understood that. A million thanks Hootenanny (and Mentallic also)! =)

Ailo said:
Now b is straightforward. When the ball hits the ground, y=0.

[tex]R-\frac{1}{2}gt^2=0 \ \Rightarrow \ t=\sqrt{\frac{2R}{g}}[/tex]

The ball has then traveled the horizontal distance

[tex]v_it=\sqrt{Rg} \cdot \sqrt{\frac{2R}{g}}=\sqrt{2}R[/tex].

So the answer is [tex](\sqrt{2}-1)R[/tex]. :smile:
Let's have a reality check here:

[tex]x = \left(\sqrt{2}-1\right) R \approx \left(1.414 - 1 \right) R = \left(0.414\right)R[/tex]

Now does that satisfy the the constraint

[tex]x^2 + y^2 > R^2[/tex]

What I'm saying here is that the ball hits the ground a horizontal distance 1,414*R units from where it started. This satisfies the inequality. But b asked how far from the base of the rock the ball lands. Now, I don't have english as my mother tongue, but I assume that the distance from the base means the distance from the rock's lowest part.

Related to How Fast Must a Ball Be Kicked to Avoid Hitting a Hemispherical Rock?

1. What is the "hard projectile problem"?

The hard projectile problem is a scientific concept that refers to the mathematical challenge of accurately predicting the motion of an object in flight, such as a bullet or a rocket, through the influence of various forces such as gravity and air resistance.

2. Why is the hard projectile problem difficult to solve?

The hard projectile problem is difficult to solve because it involves complex mathematical equations and multiple variables, such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and environmental factors like wind and air density. It also requires precise measurements and accurate understanding of the physical laws governing projectile motion.

3. How do scientists approach solving the hard projectile problem?

Scientists approach solving the hard projectile problem by using mathematical models, such as the equations of motion and projectile motion formulas, to calculate the trajectory of a projectile. They also conduct experiments and collect data to validate their predictions and refine their models.

4. Can the hard projectile problem be solved perfectly?

No, the hard projectile problem cannot be solved perfectly due to the inherent uncertainty and variability in real-world conditions. However, scientists continue to refine their models and techniques to improve the accuracy of their predictions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the hard projectile problem?

The hard projectile problem has many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of missiles and rockets, designing sports equipment like golf clubs and tennis rackets, and analyzing the flight paths of objects in sports like baseball and javelin throwing. It is also essential in understanding the mechanics of firearms and improving their accuracy.

Back